Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomasb
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

another New BT smart hub causing lots of problems

Hi All,

I have serious issues with my Hub 6.  I first got one about a year ago and it worked fine, with an improvement in WiFi distance over my Hub 4.

One day, for no apparent reason, it stopped connecting to the internet, my devices were still connected to it though.  To cut a very long story short, after many visits from engineers who all said the line was fine, I went back to the Hub 4 which worked fine, but of course with limited range.  Several replacement Hub 6's which also did not connect, a complete new line to the exchange and nothing would make 6 work. 

I took my first Hub 6 to my next door neighbour who is on the same rack as my line and apparently has all the same settings, and a working Hub 6, and my one worked fine there.  I've tried it a few times and each time it connects OK, and come back to my house and the light goes blue for about 30 seconds and then drops.  Keeps cycling round.

I have had all sorts of theories as to why it won't work from BT, such as one engineer confidently telling me that the 6 does not work on 20CN lines (and he did not believe me that next door had one) and another one telling me that it never worked in my house!!

Anyway, does anyone know what might be the cause?  I now have the Hub 5 as a best option, but this still does not work all around my house, or far enough into the garden so is not a perfect solution by far.  Obviously something has changed somewhere, where the software/ firmware in the 6 or something at the exchange, which is most likely since my hub works next door and presumably they would have the same auto updates as me.

The problem started about March 17.

Anyone had the same issue?  And did you try your 6 at someone elses house?

Thanks.

Thomas

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: another New BT smart hub causing lots of problems

Hi @thomasb

Welcome to the BT Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the Smart Hub.

Can you try the top tips (speedtest, quiet line test, router stats) and post results here so people might be able to get a handle on the problem?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Broadband-Top-Tips-to-get-help-on-the-for...

**Edited link above as it was directing users to a removed thread**

Thanks

P.

0 Ratings
thomasb
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Dear P.

Thanks for your reply.  Apparently, I do not have sufficient priviledges for this action.  What I can tell you is that all these things have been checked time and again, both here in my house and at the exchange which is a bit less than a mile away, and all have been found to be perfectly normal.

WIth regards to speed, I get a measily 7MB download and an applaing .3MB upload.  But it's the same as it was when it worked, and the same speeds as next door gets.

Is there any other way I can run those tests for you?  Or can you make a guess or two at what could be the cause?

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Ratings
bh8er
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

I clicked on the link and also got the same response You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 18

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Hi @thomasb, apologies for the broken link, accidentally deleted the last character from that link. @Liam_ has posted the correct value (thanks!).

P.

0 Ratings
thomasb
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Thanks Liam, P.

I did the tests on the line, 6.75 download, .29 upload, and 66.5 ping latency, did the tests again and got very similar results except ping latency was 48.75.

I don't have the 6 connected since it does not work.  However I have now tried five brand new hub 6 (fresh from the box) and all on factory settings.  BT engineer's also looked at all the settings when they were here and said they were normal.  Is there anyway I can change or see the settings if it won't connect to the Web?

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

If the Hub 5 is working then stick with it, you could get a wireless access point you can place in a more central position in the property and run an ethernet cable to it.  Another option would be to get powerline adapters and place the slave(s) in the room(s) with the poor signal.

Sorry I can't recommend a particular device in either case, as I don't use them.  My connections are either cabled or good wireless cards in the two PCs using wireless.

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

Hi @thomasb

The numbers are shocking. Can you post the router stats info? And try a quiet line test?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Broadband-Top-Tips-to-get-help-on-the-for...

Thanks

P.

0 Ratings
thomasb
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Thanks Liam,

I have WiFi extenders (sent by BT to try to slove the issue) and all they do is cause issues as it is not a seamless move from one router to another, the device has to change connection and so cuts off.  Also, they overlap, so the device can't decide if it should be connected to one or the other signal.  

What I want should be simple enough, and I have no idea why no one in BT knows why this is happening, as if I am the only person in the UK who has ever had this issue.

Thanks,

Thomas.