Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: ariel signal

Go to solution
thought I would add the following. Here in Haltwhistle, Northumberland we are fed by a relay transmitter which I an reliably assured have clear line of sight signal strength. We seem to enjoy lots of well informed residents due to the campaign held here back in 2009? when the digital/analog stuff was kicking off.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

Useful info to bare in mind, but I still think it would be best if you went forward with the aerial engineer before consulting with BT, just to avoid any potential charges.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

When you retune , do you get a choice of region or similar?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

Hi Tim,

No

I have carried out factory reset x 2 as per instructions from BT help person and the only regional option is BBC north east ( I think that is the name)

Molly pointed out that HD may be received from a second transmitter but i do not know.

I am almost resigned to buying a new ariel but am not yet convinced.

Do you have any suggestions on what the problem may be

Thanks

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

@johnre123

Pllese check for the possibility that that the signal may be too strong, and overloading the YouView box, especially as your TV seems fine, with a good signal level.

See these posts.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Second-YouView-box-second-Freeview-picture-issue/m-p/16709...

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Picture-breaking-up/m-p/1696786#M32946

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Freeview-HD-Channels-Pixelation/m-p/1699515#M33125

Too much signal can cause odd signal level readings.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Hi keith, thanks for the info and links

I have read through the comments but it seemed to me that people were reporting problems with HD tv channels. I have excellent reception for all HD channels. It is the standard BBC1 BBC2 etc which I cannot keep a signal for the figures I showed in an earlier post show startling differences. I also have the same problem with all BBC radio channels.

I may have misunderstood but thought I would respond before ordering the item you suggest.

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

If the SD signals are much stronger than the HD ones, then overloading of the Youview input circuitry is quite possible. If the level is very high, then any signal level readings would be misleading, as it would not be able to extract the data stream from the mux anyway.

Trying an attenuator is quite a cheap option, and may solve the problem, especially if the TV is giving a good picture without any breakup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Recently i have been having problems with a select few freeview channels, ITV3, Drama, E4, Horror, Quest, Blaze 5USA etc, these channels just seem to go off and the message, no signal being received appears, the picture then breaks up and becomes  unwatchable, never had any problems before, all my BT subscription channels work great obviously, rest of freeview and HD  great, just these channels i keep having issues with.

I had a look at a freeview multiplex listings site last night, and it seems all channels on "Multiplex COM4", are the ones i keep having problems with, no others are affected, i done a retune of the box(DTRT2100) this morning, and all have reappeared again, just wondering if anyone has an idea what could be causing this, a simple aerial problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

OK

I have an update for those people who have helped me with this problem. I cannot explain why this seems to be the result though!

visited screwfix shop and bought the following

2 x 1metre areil cables and 2 cable unions (to join them!)

1 x "Y" shaped signal union splitter

attached Y item to ariel lead and used the single cables to go one direct to TV and the second direct to youview box.

switched on equipment and the following signal results:

youview box

001 BBC1  97% 95%

002 BBC2 97% 95%

previuosly these were 7/8$ and 0%

Radio channels all back and all HD and other channels ( ITV; C4' etx all as before - that is excellent

Hope there is an explanation lol!

all signals through Television as before - excellent.

thanks everyone and total cost was 4.87p

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

Great news John, if you have any more issues please let us know 🙂

0 Ratings