cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

auto forwarding BT mail to another account

Go to solution

I have set up auto forward in BT mail and it works...but only some of the time. Not every email is forwarded,  Any suggestions as to why this may be?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: auto forwarding BT mail to another account

Go to solution

Hi @petergb and thanks for posting.

Are you getting any error message? Are you using webmail? Take a look at How to set up and use BT Mail and let me know if that helps.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi DavidM - thanks for responding.

I get no error messages.  My BT mail is set to copy and autoforward to a Hotmail (Outlook) account. Actually the majority of emails are copied and forwarded but (for example) an MSE newsletter never moves and Amazon emails sometimes do and sometimes don't!! Oddly haphazard!

I suspect there's nothing can be done but thought I'd ask. I'm only doing this because a load of my BT emails just disappeared from my inbox and canot be retrieved.

Cheers

petergb

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

HN wrote:

Does Hotmail offer a similar feature?

Yes, but I can't vouch for it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks HN but I can't find the feature in Hotmail.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Not a Hotmail user myself, but you could try this...

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-do-i-add-another-email-address-to-hotmail

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

If you're using Outlook to manage your Hotmail address, go to Connected Accounts the Settings menu (cogwheel symbol at top right).

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@petergb wrote:

Hi DavidM - thanks for responding.

I get no error messages.  My BT mail is set to copy and autoforward to a Hotmail (Outlook) account. Actually the majority of emails are copied and forwarded but (for example) an MSE newsletter never moves and Amazon emails sometimes do and sometimes don't!! Oddly haphazard!

I suspect there's nothing can be done but thought I'd ask. I'm only doing this because a load of my BT emails just disappeared from my inbox and canot be retrieved.

Cheers

petergb

Hi @petergb,

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with auto forwarding.  I am no email expert but when I read your comment about the emails that are not being forwarded I had a thought Smiley Surprised

To my knowledge of how the forwarding works, when an email is received and forwarded by an email account, it will arrive at the end destination and will appear to have come from the original sender and not the forwarded email.  For example you receive the Amazon email to your BTI email address, this is then forwarded to your Hotmail account.  When you view this email it shows that the email is from Amazon and not your BTI email address.

I wonder is the email not arriving due to Hotmails security checks?  Is it a case that when the email is forwarded from your BTI address, Hotmail looks at the email details and sees that the email is from Amazon, during further SPAM checks it notes that the originating IP address is not an IP that Amazon email use (because it originates from a BT IP address) thus rejecting the email on the grounds of it deeming the email to be spam or a phishing email.

If this is the case then there is nothing you could do about it.  Not sure if this is the case but thought id add my 2 cents Smiley Wink