cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

brand new pc came with virus!

I bought a new Acer pc for my son's birthday - which is today - and after inputing all his details he logged onto the internet and immediately a popup box said there was a virus (called Liam x virus) and gave Microsoft's phone number to ring. My daughter-in-law called the number and the woman on the other end said she could remove it for £150, at which point it became obvious it was a scam. I've sent the pc back as it clearly came to us with the virus already on it. Has anyone else had this problem - or heard of it? Thanks in advance..Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: brand new pc came with virus!

It was not a virus that you had, it was a piece of malware that was downloaded from the Internet onto your browser.

If it popped up the first time you opened the browser it would appear that the malware was already on the computer.

If however your son had been surfing the Internet and had been clicking on links or has downloaded something onto the computer it was probably installed then. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Its quite easy to pick up a virus as soon as you connect to the Internet, especially if you visit the wrong sites. Also there plenty of fake popups telling you there is a virus, when in fact there is none.

This is done to try and get people to pay for a program, which actually downloads all sorts of nasty stuff.

The best this is to simply ingore those popups, and rely on a virus protection program, which will give you a true indication of a virus.

A new Acer PC would have Windows 8.1 on it, which already has Windows Defender built in, provided that its not been de-activated by one of the many "free" trial anti-virus programs that seem to get installed by the manufacturer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for your reply - yes, it popped up the first time he opened the browser. It claimed to be MacaFee, and said it had 'quarantined' the 'virus' - this message popped up and disappeared just as fast. My son then looked at an image of a fishing scene, but the image froze and he couldn't get rid of it so had to turn off the pc. The malware had done it's work. His birthday won't be ruined, though, because we've bought him another pc. Hopefully this one will be 'clean'...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Very strange to have come with a virus or malware already on the computer. If he had to set the computer up, ie go through the Windows installing etc, when he turned it on I have no idea how it could have happened at the very first opening of the browser because if Windows had not been initialised it could not have had a virus/malware on it.

If he did not have to go through the initial set up procedure it sounds like the computer had already been set up and possibly used and it may then have had the virus/malware installed previously.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

The same thing occured to us; that the pc had been used previously. I'll be very careful about where I buy from in future. It's been a very stressful day, and I'll be glad when it's over. Thankyou for your replies..I'm no 'techie' (as you can see) but I've learned something today. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

you can download a program malwarebytes which is free and that will help prevent this thing again and if something does happen then you can use it to get rid of the malware

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I've looked for the 'mark as accepted solution' tag to click on but can't locate it..sorry. I'm very grateful for the replies, and have learned a lot. The new pc - a Toshiba - has been set up and is running perfectly, so today hasn't been a total washout for my son. Thankyou all!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Because this post is in "The Lounge" board it can not be marked as solved. This board is not normally used to solve problems, more to discuss them and anything else.

0 Ratings