cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

broadcasting SSID

One is told not to broadcast the SSID for secure wireless and my previous (non-BT) ADSL hub allowed me to do that.  I have just joined BT Total Broadband and found that the 2.0 hub does not allow me to stop the SSID being published.

Is this a problem?

Any ideas what I should do? (Go back to my old modem?)

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: broadcasting SSID

Which version of the HH2 do you have? - it will tell you at the bottom of every page before Time & date
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

Change the SSID to * Virus Detected * they wouldn't dare try connecting to that.

Raid

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

My HH2 doesn't (now) broadcast the SSID. Click on the A-Z settings on the home page and select "Wireless Network Name / SSID, Hide/Display".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

This is the version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.45 (Type A)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Unfortunately, this advice (at the link) does not work for this home hub. There is no "Security" tab and under the heading "Security" one can only set the type as in WPA or WEP.
I had called the help line and they asked me to look for the same thing.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

There is no such heading in my contents.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

I think that as I have just received my hub, this is a new version where this security feature has been removed deliberately and the reason is that BT expects everyone to sign up to BT FON where, I assume, that the SSID has to be broadcast or, at least something has to be broadcast and maybe that type of security feature stops access.

When I spoke to the help desk they said that the next version (version 3) also does not have the security feature.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

@securitymad wrote:

One is told not to broadcast the SSID for secure wireless and my previous (non-BT) ADSL hub allowed me to do that.  I have just joined BT Total Broadband and found that the 2.0 hub does not allow me to stop the SSID being published.

Is this a problem?

Any ideas what I should do? (Go back to my old modem?)

Hi.

Frankly broadcasting the SSID doesn't specifically cause any problems. You actually have a hub 3, not a 2.0 - the version number confirms that.

It is not really a security issue, as the SSID is very easy to find even if hidden.

In the distant past folk were told that it was best to hide the SSID, but that was in the days when most wireless connections were open and didn't have any WEP/WPA at all.

0 Ratings