cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 15

Re: broadcasting SSID

Yes, I have a HH3 and I can find no option to hide the SSID from being broadcast. Not that I want to, but why hoble it? (An inability to change the DNS is another niggle...)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 15

Thanks for that.

I have now read further and seen that what you say makes sense and I will give up on the idea of hiding the SSID

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 15

I still think that hiding the SSID is still a good security idea. Sure encryption is much more important. And hiding the SSID on a work network with dozens/hundreds of clients is pointless as your non-broadcast id is broadcast by all of those clients looking for an AP. But in a home with < 10 wireless network devices? Most of the time they're either connected (and then they'll stop shouting out your hidden id) or switched off. So I don't imagine they're broadcasting your id very often. Sure, if you want to sit outside my house all day, every day, you'll eventually get my id. But hiding it is, I think, a clear statement that uninvited guests are not welcome.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 15

And a truly determined hacker will still find a 'hidden' SSID anyway. The good news is that personal WLAN's often don't extend too far from the property and the potential gains are irrelevant for the time required to trap anything useful.

As others have said, hiding the SSID is a good additional layer of security but it will only deter the Skript Kiddies.

Hub2 does offer the option though

Wireless security
Hide wireless network name (SSID)
Yes

No
Type of wireless encryption
No encryption used

WEP encryption

WPA & WPA2 encryption

WPA encryption

WPA2 encryption

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 15 of 15

Sometimes people don't want to broadcast their SSID - it should be their choice.

I live in a built up area next to a hotel and I don't want people pinging my SSID.

This is a bad and uncessary flaw on the HH3 - I'm going to swap it for a 2701 hub which I've found much more reliable. 

0 Ratings