cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

bt business hub 3 - please help

Go to solution

Hi, hoping someone can help, i recently recieved the business hub 3 and asked the more technology minded member of staff to set it up for me, she is currenly on day 2 of trying to figure it out. our computer runs on windows 7 if that helps? 

on inserting the disk for set up a message comes up to say that Realtek PCIe FE Family controller does not support the security settings for the hub but it can be changed to WEP by logging into Hub Manager, however we cant seem to access the link. i have tried btbusinesshub.home but it fails due to DNS look up, so i tried the ip address 192.168.1.254 (is this correct?) but that fails due to a time out. i have tried looking up on various sites but i cant seem to find anything relating to my problem - please help!!

Thanks in advance

Laura

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: bt business hub 3 - please help

Go to solution

did you enter 192.168.1.254 into your address bar?  or try http://btbusinesshub.home

did you change username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com and if password required then just BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Yes i entered it in the address bar

when i tried your link this comes up DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

where do i go to change username / password?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Are you trying to connect to the hub wirelessly or via an ethernet cable? Is your computer set to obtain an IP address automatically via DHCP or has it got a static IP address?

Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@amylouiseepping

what device are you using? A Windows OS or unix flavoured OS such as MAC OSX, Ubuntu, ect..

If Windows can you go to cmd (command prompt) from the start menu.
Then type ipconfig /all
Find the network interface the device is currently using and it should give you the IP address of the default gateway.
Copy and paste the results here for the network interface.

If using Mac OS or Unix based please go to your terminal (search for it using the operating system's search facility)

Then type ifconfig /all
Find the network interface the device is currently using and it should give you the IP address of the default gateway.
Copy and paste the results here for the network interface.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@licquorice

i am trying to connect wirelessly. im afraid i dont know the answer to your other question. this is all a bit new to me!

@jac_95

i am using a windows OS - Windows 7. 

I went to cmd - how do i find network interface? im not really sure what im looking for!! Sorry im a bit thick when it comes to all this technology stuff!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

From your original post it looks like your wireless card doesn't support WPA2 which the hub will be set to. You will need to connect to the hub using an ethernet cable to be able to change to WEP on the hub. Or you might be able to update the drivers for your wireless adaptor. I would definitely connect via an ethernet cable in the first instance.

Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@amylouiseepping

If you are using a wireless connection to the HomeHub then once you have typed ipconfig /all into the cmd window, look the bit that says Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

For example mine says:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ************
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : *******************
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.8(Preferred) <<---- The Device's allocated IP Address
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 24 May 2015 11:28:14
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 May 2015 11:28:14
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 <<---- The HomeHub's IP Address
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : **********
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : ******************

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Once you have the Default Gateway IP address, type ping [Default Gateway IP address]. If it reaches the homehub and get's a reply then the connection to the HomeHub is okay and you should be able to config the HomeHub by going to http://The Default Gateway IP address.

For example in my case it would be http://192.168.0.1

If still having issues, maybe try a wired Ethernet connection.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

thanks for all your help.

@licquorice it works with the ethernet cable 🙂

i have changed the setting to WEP. Can i still set up a wireless connection to my desktop PC or does it need to stay connected with the ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Should be able to, try it and see. You can always go back to Ethernet
0 Ratings