cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

bt email address...

my bt address has been hacked and used to send 100's of spams, but most have been returned by the demon-mailer, how do prevent it from happening again, which bt dept should i talking to (tel number appreciated)...

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: bt email address...

There are a number of threads referring to this issue. Please take a look, and pay special attention to any comments by Andy_N as he is our e-mail expert Smiley Wink

Search results here http://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=Board%3AOtherBB&q=...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: bt email address...

@colcol wrote:

my bt address has been hacked and used to send 100's of spams, but most have been returned by the demon-mailer

It's very unlikely that your account has been "hacked" and used to send anything.

Most likely, a spammer has sent off a shedload of junk with your address as the sender - hence any replies -- bounces, undeliverable responses etc (spammers don't care if the addresses they're sending to are real or not...) -- end up back in your inbox.

There's not really a lot that can be done about it, other than wait until the responses from this current batch have dried up and the spammer moves on to somebody else.

For the future...my preference is to use a disposable address in situations where it's use is likely to expose it to potential spammers.

0 Ratings