cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iwillcock
Message 1 of 5

bt fon and openzone

Go to solution

ive just started using bt broadband and understand that bt fon and openzone is step on my wireless router automatically meaning anyone can connect and use my wireless router and broadband line. I don't want this and want it turning off or disabling. how can i get this done.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: bt fon and openzone

Go to solution
hi go to the BT fon web site and opt out of the service but remember by opting out you lose your unlimited WiFi access when out and about also the fon service allows up to 500k of your download speed only if you are not using your connection it has no affect on your monthly usage and is only available a few hundred yards of the hub and also it has no affect on your broadband security and no one can access you hub or pc the wifi feature can be very useful if you use a smart phone or laptop when out and about
0 Ratings
lhodg
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

it has no affect on your monthly usage

I would dispute this!  I took on my BT internet contract a year ago, choosing the mid package, as our internet usage is moderate, but were quickly notified by BT that we were exceeding our bandwidth usage quite substantially and would be charged premium amounts if we continued to do so without upgrading.  We upgraded, but this has niggled me for a long time.

A couple of weeks ago, a colleague advised that if I withdrew from BT FON, I would see a large drop in my usage - and this has so far proven to be correct, in this short space of time.  

On 15.04.12 (the day I withdrew from BT FON) I had used 25.97 GB of my unlimited usage allowance and my average monthly usage was 57.72 GB.  Today I checked, and on 21.04.12 I had used 28.04 GB of my unlimited usage, average monthly usage 57.7 GB. 

This means I have had usage of 2.07 GB over a 6 day period, which approx equates to five times that, i.e. 10.35 GB over an average month.

That's 57.72 GB with BT FON versus 10.35 GB without, which is some effect!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I think this link says very clearly FON /OPENZONE does not come off your usage allowance
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11042/~/does-my-bt-fon-usage-count-towards-my-home-download-allowance%3F

If you have an other questions you can call the FON/ OPENZONE  helpdesk on 0800 022 3322 for help.

0 Ratings
lhodg
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Yes it does say that - thank you for the link. 

Thank you also for the telephone number supplied - I will monitor our usage over the next month before following this up. 

I will also be looking to see whether there is a decrease in the number of interruptions we get to our wireless internet, where the connection drops and we have to reset the router to get it back. 

0 Ratings