cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leonyearwood
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

bt homehub 3 and infinity

HI, I am wondering if someone can answer the question seeing as all bt when i phone is to call royal mail if there are problems.

I have decided to go for the upgrade, however after reading on here im frightened to. But despite asking the question

"what happens if my home home hub 3 does not arrive from royal mail"   I cannot get an answer. Will bt send the engineer out with one.. is the appointment cancelled? if so i will have to cancel the contract as I have no more holiday to take ( yes im all booked up with weddings and stag does :0)  ) . 

I am hoping that someone on here can help me. and urgently as my engineer appointment is the 9th and i was told the homehub would arrive two days before.. ie today ( yes I am aware there is still time, but according to royal mail it is sat in York and has been since the 2nd) . I do appreciate the weather is bad, but all I want to know is what happens IF.

many thanks

Leon

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: bt homehub 3 and infinity

Hi Leon

Most Openreach people carry a spare Router with them for such eventualities.

good luck on the 9th and welcome to the forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

The engineer does not need the hub to complete the install as they can test the line using their own equipment but should connect a PC for you to prove it works but I would expect the engineer will be quite happy not to do that bit if you agree.

Openreach install for many isps many of whom leave the customer to provide the router. You can directly connect a PC to the modem (you need to set up a PPpOE connection) if you want while you wait for the HH3 to arrive.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

the install will go ahead as normal unless bad weather prevents it there is still every chance your hub will arrive before the install or even on the day there is also a good chance the engineer will have a hub with him in case of problems or faults
0 Ratings
leonyearwood
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

thanks for the anwers. Am I right in assuming that the home hub 2 wont be able to be used as an interim measure?

0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Yes you are right, BT did use modified HH2's in the beginning, but you need the HH3 (or any other cable router as per the list on a much earlier post) to connect to the modem that the techie will bring.

Michael

0 Ratings
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

I don't think that is correct, others on this forum are using HH2 and other hubs with infinity. BT install a VDSL modem to connect to infinity, from there it connects to the hub.

0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

I believe that there were a few HH2's that had a firmware mod to make port 4 available as the connection to the modem, but I'm not sure if it is possible to manually install this update. Your best bet is to connect directly via PPPoE  or wait for your HH3 to arrive. However in my case, my HH3 was dead, and the engineer did have a couple of hubs in his van which allowed him to complete the install!

Good luck!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
leonyearwood
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

thanks everyone. im hoping that the hh3 arrives.. or the engineer has a spare one, i dont understand the other method of connecting at all and wont be best pleased to have no net for a period of time that i will have to pay for. I guess if it doesnt arrive on the installation date i will cancel everything as my order wont be complete ( though it may not be bt's fault). but one observation is that perhaps they should just let the engineer bring the hh3 with them for the install would save postage and people waiting.

0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Honestly, the fact that Royal Mail have it is a positive, I'm not sure if you are an exisiting BT customer or are moving from a competitor, but I would be really nervous about cancelling  at such a late stage, as you may be left high and dry if your current provider ceases service on the cutover day!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings