cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whynotask
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

bt hub 5 (infinity) - stuck on flashing green

My bt hub 5 has been stuck on a flshing green light since tuesday (14th april) evening.

I tried a button resert, a pin (factory) reset and mains power reset with no luck.

Called BT who talked me through things to try, none of which worked.

[they suggested i unscrew my BT openreach socket and test the adsl myself -  which I found absurd - surely no one should do that unless they are an engineer ?!?! - obviously I refused also]

Engineer is due to visit in friday but my online research suggests the hub is basically faulty.

Any advice?

Will BT replace the hub with no cost? Ive been with BT for 3 months and have spent 1 month chasing them for endless technical issues. Reached a personal best of 6 weeks with internet before it broke again.

I said to the BT staff on the phone that I regret switching from sky and BT has endless issues. Without hestiation she said all customers say that...

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: bt hub 5 (infinity) - stuck on flashing green

if your hub is faulty and only 3 months old then engineer will replace it

it is a standard request for the customet to try the test socket which is behind the bottom half of the master socket as that eliminates the internal wiring as causing a problem.   should an engineer find that it is the internal wiring that is causing your problem and not a faulty hub then you may well be charged the callout fee of £129.99

if you read many posts on the forum you will see that trying the test socket is one of the first tests requested by the forum members, customers like yourself, to try and avoid the problem being internal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
whynotask
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

ok, I just found it surprising that I was told to unscrew the socket.

I wondered if that would lead to me voiding any rights openreach has on the socket? I just wasnt sure, and didnt want any future engineer to say ' well looks like an unprofessional person has tampered with the socket so i cant be responsible for it'

My phone line is working fine, but I suppose internet comes from a different wire?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

no same wires for your internet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

A continuously flashing green on the hub is usually an indication that the software is not initialising properly, ie. the hub is bricked.

0 Ratings
whynotask
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Right, so it seems the most likely cause is faulty hub. But i still need an engineer to visit to confirm.

The engineer is meant to visit tomorrow (i accidentally said friday in my original message) - and BT has just called me to say acomputer glitch has accidentally cancelled my appointment. Why doesnt that surprise me. I was just going to call them to confirm someone will show up tomorrow and low and behold they beat me to it !

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

A factory reset should resolve it
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

If not, you need a replacement.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
whynotask
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Yes I tried that when the BT person on the phone talked me through the various things to try. I even replaced the ADSL filter with no luck.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon. In the mean time im glad a not-too distant neighbour has BT which i can use thorugh FON.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@ray_dorset wrote:

A factory reset should resolve it
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

If not, you need a replacement.

See post 1

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Another one may work, especially if done properly as per the instructions
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings