Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stark
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

bt hub 5

hi guys,

two quick questions, any issues with vpn for hub 5 and also for infinity does it have to be into master socket, currently have hub 3 with great speed 17mbps on extension feed.

any other general issues with hardware configs/incompatible issues with hub 5.

thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: bt hub 5

Hi

I use VPN for a big company and absolutely no issues with HH5.

Tim

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Yup officially you have to be on the master socket with infinity. As for VPNs I've never had a problem. If you are looking at remote access clients ie from your company laptop to your corporate VPN that should be fine so long as your company allows VPN over NAT traversal which I'd be gobsmacked at how badly setup your VPN is if it doesnt. Site to site vpns can be more problematic however as gre/esp arent really natable.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

If you need it set up away from your master socket, that is possible. It doesnt have to be connected where the master socket is, despite what people keep saying. 

0 Ratings
stark
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

thanks for all that guys, regarding the not master socket, do you know if the speed say for infinity is hugely dimished, based on our set up the speed is the same from the master direct or our internal extension so I would assume this should be the case for infinity? unless there is something iam missing.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Master socket is best because it is direct rather than being "joined"  like an extension which could be poorly wired and not filtered if done incorrectly. If the extension is wired ok give it a try and if the speed is ok then use it. If speed drops use master.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 7 of 7

You will get the best speeds and most stable connection using the master socket. If you stability problems and call BT out and they diagnose your issue as being down to not being plugged into the master socket then expect to be charged for the visit. By all means try it and let us know how good/bad it is!
0 Ratings