Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 35

Re: bt infinity 2 first few days

Go to solution

You appear to have 2 problems. Your line is not syncing at its maximum capability unless using the test socket which indicates a wiring problem and you are not getting the best from whatever speed you are syncing at due to wireless problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 35

Go to solution

I have ordered an adsl faceplate as the one we have has been in for 15years , have a flat adsl cable and was reading a twisted one is better so will try this failing that shift the homehub nearer to master socket and hope that increases speeds 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 35

Go to solution

morning all , i put new adsl faceplate instead of the i-plate and these are the results , speeds are 

ping - 53

download - 9.27

upload - 17.37

will the speeds increase or do you still think a wiring issue

all help appreciated

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ61204842
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 02/06/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:38:51
6. Data rate:19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate:27330 / 84796
8. Noise margin:15.5 / 8.2
9. Line attenuation:21.8 / 18.3
10. Signal attenuation:21.8 / 18.3
11. Data sent/received:1.5 GB / 4.6 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-QS7S
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-QS7S_5ghz
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:90:72:82:97:1c:c2
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 35

Go to solution

As you can see from the stats (line6), you are connecting at the maximum speed 80/20. Your problem is with your wireless. If you carry out a speed test with a wired connection, you should see a huge difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 35

Go to solution

is there anything that could improve the wireless speed ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 35

Go to solution
Probably not, without buying better wireless kit.

For most activties online though you don't need anything more than 10meg. If you're doing large downloads regularly then I'd suggest using an Ethernet cable.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 35

Go to solution

The Home hub is never going to be great at Wireless. The fact they build the aerials inside (so the HH can fit through your letterbox) is not going to help the situation. That said the results still seems pretty low and from what I've seen I'd expect better than you're getting.

In terms of WiFi capabilities I've measured the following to a local server via my HH5A when sitting next to it:

Frequency  Wireless Interface type        Throughput

---------  ----------------------------   ----------
2.4 GHz    up to 144 Mbps and 300 Mbps    107 Mbits/sec
           up to 54 Mbps                  21.1 Mbits/sec
5 GHz      up to 1300 Mbps and 450 Mbps   204 Mbits/sec
           up to 217 Mbps                 103 Mbits/sec
           up to 54 Mbps                  21.8 Mbits/sec

As you can see, higher speeds are possible

There are quite a few posts to the forums reporting poor WiFi performance, especially on the 5 GHz frequency. If you've not already done so, split the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz so they use different SSID. See the BT help page How do I connect my device only to the 5GHz wireless channel on the Hub 4 or Hub 5? or I have problems connecting 5GHz and dual band devices wirelessly to the BT Home Hub 4 or Hub.

You could also download and run InSSIDer to check wireless in your area. Seeing what other wireless is around you, and the channels they're using, at least allows you to make a slightly more intelligent decision around the Wireless configuration. Take a read of the Metageek Adjacent and Co-Channel Congestion page to help understand the issue.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 35

Go to solution
The OP's wireless device could also be the limiting factor.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 35

Go to solution

@Webby

Agreed, but as pointed out there seemed to be two problems. The sync now looks to be sorted with the new faceplate as it's increased from ~60 Mbps to ~80 Mbps.

The above was simply a number of things to try given we know the HH5 can do better than the 9 down / 17 up shown in message 23.

EDIT:

@Webby Sorry... having re-read I think you were referring to the performance of the thing the OP is using to test with, not the HH5 performance. My mistake.

Regards

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 35

Go to solution

thank you for all the pointers , i have split the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz , will try the inSSIDer and see what it says

0 Ratings