cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilija
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

bt infinity donwload speeds **bleep** ?

just installed my bt infinity with unlimited internet and i dont know how to do a speed test so can anyone help me ?

also im trying to donwload a film and i used to get 800kbs with sky now im only getting 30kbs with bt ?

thanks

kudos for everyone 😞

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: bt infinity donwload speeds **bleep** ?

Hi

If you want to run a speed test then go here  http://speedtester.bt.com/ .

Just follow the instructions on screen.

Bt also traffic manage P2P downloads so that may be why you are getting slow download speeds.  

0 Ratings
ilija
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

@Nige32 wrote:

Hi

If you want to run a speed test then go here  http://speedtester.bt.com/ .

Just follow the instructions on screen.

Bt also traffic manage P2P downloads so that may be why you are getting slow download speeds.  

hi nige

done a speed test and its showing 40mbps. so im sure nothing is wrong witht the speeds ?

guys please help

0 Ratings
ishdd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Can you clarify what you mean by "downloading". Downloading from where? Are you using BitTorrent? As Nige says, P2P traffic is pretty severely limited during waking hours...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

as already said p2p traffic is 'managed' at peak times ans all weekend.  is site p2p?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ilija
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

i dont know what p2p is ?

im using a torrent site !
0 Ratings
ishdd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

P2P is "peer-to-peer", which is what you're doing when you download using BitTorrent (which you are) - exchanging data between a group of other computers (peers)

This also means that you can be limited by how fast your peers' connections are. eg. if you're sharing a file with a group of others and they are all on regular ADSL, their (slow) upload speed will determine how fast you can pull down that data. 

0 Ratings
ilija
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

so my speeds can never reach skys ? whats the point off bt then ? thats the reason i got it ?
0 Ratings
ishdd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

If you just got Infinity to .. uh.. "acquire" movies over BitTorrent, then yeah, you might be a bit disappointed with your experience. 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/c/346,402,424

Quote:

P2P refers to certain applications that enable files and program sharing between groups of people logged on to a P2P network. Because they use uploads and downloads and are often left running 24/7, they consume significant bandwidth, even when being used by just a small number of customers.

Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical - for example, downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing - we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

Hi

The P2P restrictions are in the terms and conditions.

They run from 4pm to midnight on weeks days and 9am to midnight on the weekends.

So I guess from after that time you will see your download speed increase.

Edit   beat me to it

0 Ratings