cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

bt infinity wifi

I have had infinity over 6 months now, and its fine on ethernet cable, but abysmal on wifi. We use a blackberry playbook, iphone, netbook,ps3 and laptop.The playbook seems to pick up the best out of all of them. My daughter has to keep walking closer to the hub,with her phone, until she gets a signal, then slowly the signal drops off again as she moves away. Her small netbook is in the next bedroom and that wont pick up at all. My laptop, just sits with the boring blue circle when i try to go online. The ps3, drops off all the time, and the gameplay is jumpy. All in all its a pain in the neck.I have used the helpdesk, and that squirrels away then tells me everything is fine, then in 5 minutes wifi has gone, and im resetting the hub again, etc, etc, blah, blah,blah. BT bang on about how great the hub is and dual channel this and that, but frankly im really dissapointed. I have a home hub 4. Has anyone had the same issues and can just tell me a simple fix?ive removed the bt helpdesk page as that seemed to do more damage than good.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: bt infinity wifi

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. After you have done that turn off "Smart Set Up"  see link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

While you are doing that also turn off "Smart wireless". Download a Wifi Analyser app for you smartphone if you have one or use the free version of inSSider from forum member Keith Beddoe's website here

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/software/insidder.zip

It will show you the wireless channels and which one your Homehub is on. You want to find the channel with the least congestion, ie. least number of users. Once you have that you need to change your homehub onto that channel. This will turn off smart wireless.

See link how to change channel on homehub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094

Once you have done that post back with the results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

If anyone, even neighbours a couple of doors away, are using video senders this will silently wipe out at least one quarter of the WiFi spectrum. SSInsider will see nothing, as video senders are analogue. Routers using Smart WiFi will see these areas free and try to use them for Wifi and you will get intermittent and weak WiFi just like you describe.

Try using a fixed WiFi channel in different 1/4s of WiFi channels and see what you get ie channel 2 or 6 or 10 or 13.

I know as I have a video sender, which I have had long before WiFi came and occupied the same spectrum and it wipes out channels 1-4 pretty comprehensively and neighbour 3 doors away also has one which wipes out channels 5-8 as well. I can also use my video receiver to watch whatever he is watching on Sky as well Smiley Happy. I assume he can do the same for me Smiley Surprised

I generally now use wired ethernet round the house, works much better 100% of the time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hello again and thanks for the replies. i have ran the SSID app, and ny hub is on channel 1, with a link score of 100%. coupled with this is a signal strength of -60. Now i presume this is good?, i checked out the analyser section, and changed my channel on the hub to number 11,(more out of curiosity), there were a large number of other signalds on this channel as well. My signal strength went to "fair", and my score dropped to 83, and the other one went to -76. So, fair play, i put the channel back to 1. I have done , numerous resets on the wifi button, and the reset accessed via a pin, these have been done over the past few weeks. Since i changed channels back and forth, the daughter hasnt complained of any drop off on her phone, but im curious as to why i must turn off the smart wifi as suggested, will the phone and everything else, look for the hub?or is that just a start up program in the hub?. So, as it stands things are slightly better, but i suppose i should give it time. When it was installed the engineer said to wait upto 48hrs for my speed to find its level?, surely the speed would be already at the exchange,why would i wait?. Thanks again, and i will update as soon as i see a change , good or bad. Do you think it would be worth getting a plug in signal amplifier?....cheers...jim

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

The reason to turn off "Smart Wireless" is that it only uses three of the thirteen channels available regardless of how busy these channels are. If you scan and find a channel that has no other users on it this will give you a better signal than one that is being shared by other people.

Your devices will automatically log onto which ever channel your homehub is transmitting on. 

You should also turn off "Smart Set Up" as this can cause problems with some wireless devices and in partcular Apple devices.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thanks again. I may be a bit thck here, but if i switch of the smart wireless, does that mean if i try to use another wifi piece of equipment, it wont set up correctly?, i was thinking of getting a signal booster, and if i have smart wireless turned off am i going to get my knickers in a twist, because i know i will forget to turn it back on again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Sorry ive just realised what ive written. My hub is on channel 1, and that has no other user on it, therefore any new device will tune in to that channel. So, if i get a signal booster, everything will still be on channel 1. Thanks, my brain hurts.

0 Ratings