Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cinek
Contributor
Message 1 of 33

bt infinity without bt line rental?

Go to solution

Is it possible to get infinity (FTTP) without having a line from bt? my phone line is managed by someone else - don't really want to change it

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: bt infinity without bt line rental?

Go to solution
I'm not sure with FTTP. You're best off calling up to find out.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution
Looking here - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25633

It looks like you do.

Surely the benefits of 100meg broadband outweigh whatever negatives you have about having your line rental with BT?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
pope
Contributor
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

Cinek, 

Based on my experience, RUN, and don't turn around. As far as 100mbit is concerned, look at my thread for actuall speeds. Or any other number of threads.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution
I don't know how many infinity customers there are but I guess the handful of people complaining is probably a fraction of 1% so make your own mind up whether it is a good service or not.

It is not uncommon for help foru to be full of posts regarding problems 😉
cinek
Contributor
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

that's what I'm worried about tbh - have a perfectly fine working broadband (not as fast - but no issues) Don't want to screw it up ;/ installing a 2nd line is So Expensive ;/

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution
I moved from Be which worked perfectly for 5 years to infinity 2 about 6 months ago and so far it has also been perfect. I'm in a semi- rural area so low contention and I'm very close to the cab so max. 80/20 too.
I can't fault the service from installation onwards tbh but I appreciate this can be related to where you are geographically.
0 Ratings
pope
Contributor
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

Anthony,

Percentages are interesting things. While your post make sense, imagine what percentage of BT Infinity users have no ideas about forums, I'd say it'll be pretty high. Then, on top, add the people who are mostly going to use internet for checking their email/facebook/twitter. You know, the same people who would have the same experience with 2-4Mbit broadband. 

I stand by my posts. Customer service demontrated by BT is abysmal. You are, of course, free to disagree, we all have different expectations of what is acceptable. 

Also, on forums, you'll always find hard-core group of zealots, who'll defend providers, in this case BT, no matter what.

When things are going well, customer support is not even needed. Problem with BT, in my opinion of course, is that they inherited almost monopolistic position within the industry. Market will, eventually, force them to do one of two things, adapt, or perish. I couldn't care less which of the two, as long as it happens quickly. 

To the OP; my opinion still stands. If you are happy with your current service stay with it. It's fine to say that you have 80mbit link, but if that link can't even deliver bbc iplayer programme without constant buffering, it's time to look elsewhere.

Regards, Pope.

Edit to add;

This is how 'engineer' left first atempt of installation of my broadband. 

btcable1.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
D-ave
Expert
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

@cinek wrote:

that's what I'm worried about tbh - have a perfectly fine working broadband (not as fast - but no issues) Don't want to screw it up ;/ installing a 2nd line is So Expensive ;/

Installing a new BT line is free - I know, I did that (so for a while I had two separate lines running). That enabled  me to satisfy myself as to the wisdom of my decision to leave Sky broadband (with which I had been very happy) and Sky Talk.

I think BT's line rental saver (paid a year up front) is probably unbeatable - as is Infinity FTTC for me. FTTP would be even better. Don't assume that the problems and complaints in this forum are typical of most users, such forums are intended for the minority of people who have problems, most people who are happy will never post in a help forum. The potential problems are just something to bear in mind as possibilities but you will bevery  unlucky if any of them happen to you.

0 Ratings
cinek
Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

@D-ave wrote:

@cinek wrote:

Installing a new BT line is free - I know, I did that (so for a while I had two separate lines running). That enabled  me to satisfy myself as to the wisdom of my decision to leave Sky broadband (with which I had been very happy) and Sky Talk.

I think BT's line rental saver (paid a year up front) is probably unbeatable - as is Infinity FTTC for me. FTTP would be even better. Don't assume that the problems and complaints in this forum are typical of most users, such forums are intended for the minority of people who have problems, most people who are happy will never post in a help forum. The potential problems are just something to bear in mind as possibilities but you will bevery  unlucky if any of them happen to you.

really? I was told if I want a 2nd line I need to pay £130 by bt chat support

@anthonyUK that's true, I know that sometimes there can be issues and I can accept that, but not when it takes months to fix them as in @pope case. I do not have time to keep calling bt and posting on here if anything does go wrong

0 Ratings