Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 21 of 33

Re: bt infinity without bt line rental?

Go to solution

I found some figures regarding customer numbers here - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/07/bt-top-6-36-million-broadband-subscribers-as-fttc-passe...

It appears that BT are adding about 150,000 FTTC connections per month so there are probably 750,000+ currently.

I said earlier that I'd never had a problem with Be internet but if you go to thier forums you would also think they are appaling. Check out as many places as you can such as thinkbroadband etc for some balance.

0 Ratings
cinek
Contributor
Message 22 of 33

Go to solution

just tried doing it online and:

Your order

One-off costs Monthly costs

Packages£0.00£35.00
Phone£130.00£0.00
Total£130.00 £35.00
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 23 of 33

Go to solution
For a second line to a property you normally get charged the full fee. For instance if you had a line supplied by sky and paid line rental to them BT would normal charge you the full price for a new line unless you could negotiate it down. Even for FTTP.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 24 of 33

Go to solution
usually they do special offers on 2nd lines for free or £40 like it says on the website as most on the cabling is there so they just use a spare pair
0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 25 of 33

Go to solution

@hippey wrote:
For a second line to a property you normally get charged the full fee. For instance if you had a line supplied by sky and paid line rental to them BT would normal charge you the full price for a new line unless you could negotiate it down. Even for FTTP.

As Bullitt said.

Had a Sky line rental (not on Sky network) and Sky Talk. Ordered BT Infinity on a new second line (so new number) online and the total setup cost was... £6 (for the homehub). The new line was free installation. They did indeed use a spare pair, two engineers, everything was finished and working within 90 minutes.

I haven't regretted it for one second.

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 26 of 33

Go to solution

OK I know I've been off the forum for a while but after reading this thread can some one please explian to me why you need a phone line if you are looking at FTTP???????. It's my understanding that FTTP is Fibre cable from the Exchange to the Dslam and then fibre cabling from the Dslam to the box in the house and a cable from the box to the modum.???????? Now if I'm correct where does a phone line come into this???

iechyd da

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 27 of 33

Go to solution
It's fibre all the way to the modem. In theory you don't need a phone line at all, and some will supply without but the current BT model is to supply phone and data. You will find that some FTTP set ups have no copper at all.
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 28 of 33

Go to solution
As for the line installation charge- I did say to expect to pay full price for a second line, but you might not have to. I didn't either when I had one from orange and wanted a second line, orange would not support it so went back to BT and got free installation at that time.
0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 29 of 33

Go to solution
I wonder what would happen then if this was taken to OFCOM, playing devil's advocate how can BT charge for a service that is not needed to supply another service, very very interesting if you ask me. As stated I've no grip with BT at all have been 1st class for me but when I see something like this is does make me wonder on what grounds they can have to implement this service.
0 Ratings
iwhitfield
Message 30 of 33

Go to solution

I personally don't think it's justified to charge a compulsory monthly rental for a phone line the customer doesn't want or need just to get broadband. It's fair enough to charge for installation if no line exists though.

I've had a Virgin fibre broadband service for the last 5 years which doesn't require a phone line. I am now moving to an area that only has BT Infinity and am finding my broadband costs are going to be £15 per month more expensive. That means the next 5 years will cost me £900 extra with BT.

Maybe this should be a question for Ofcom.

0 Ratings