Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
byrdland5d
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

bt net protect plus- not protecting

Go to solution

I am using windows xp- while active scanning was on I downloaded a virus without knowing - net protect plus did not warn me- when i ran a full scan the virus was not discovered-

surely this means the programme does not work and there is no facility for reporting new viruses -so is this programme just a scam?

This is part of my option 3 package and doesnt work giving me no security.

I have managed to get rid of the virus by sysem restore - I have complained to bt

this virus is very worrying as it informs me that my computer is downloading  my info to another computer -

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: bt net protect plus- not protecting

Go to solution

No virus scanner is perfect.  They rely on virus "signatures" which are developed by studying new viruses as they appear.  However, this takes a few days.

The virus writers are constantly modifying their viruses to evade these signatures.  Each time, they have a day or two in which the virus can infect new computers.  The more devious ones will then attempt to disable the virus scanner's updates so that they are never detected.

Don't rely wholly on any virus scanner.  They are merely one defence of many.

0 Ratings
byrdland5d
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply to my posting. Are you suggesting running two antivirus programmes simultaneously?I really do feel that the ability to report a virus that has compromised my system and be assured that someone somwhere is working on it after all what do they care if i am infected? The viruses are free and the protection should be part of the service provided, Once again I thank you for your consideration of this matter

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Running two simultaneously can cause all sorts of "interesting" problems and is best avoided.  They can interfere with each other in unexpected ways.

It's worth having a (free) second virus scanner and an anti-spyware program downloaded and regularly updated, but use it in an on-demand mode only.

You can use the second program to scan downloaded files and, once in a while, to do a scan of the computer.  Be aware that just occasionally one virus scanner will think that the other's signature files are a virus.

Make sure you are up-to-date with security patches.  This applies not only to Windows.  Check also Java, and anything from Adobe (Acrobat and Flash Player).  These are notoriously buggy and regularly used by virus-writers to attack systems.

There is no magic anti-virus solution.  The virus writers are no longer spotty teenagers in their bedrooms.  They are dedicated professionals working for organised crime groups.  No anti-virus program will ever spot all viruses.  You have to learn to look after yourself.

byrdland5d
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you once again for your elucidation, resumably I would have to turn off my main av prog while I ran second, would that stop 2nd scanner from assuming 1st was av? Oh what a tangled web they weaved, when first they practiced to decieve- R. Burns i think.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

It's never caused me any problems having a continuously scanning AV program running at the same time as an on-demand one.

The problems come because of the hooks the AV programs put into Windows in order to intercept all file accesses.  They do that so they can virus scan each file before you get to see it.

byrdland5d
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Well, Ectophile expert, I cannae bit thank ye kindllee. By way of thank you may I invite you to scan my favourite videos on u tube using log in byrd5d- please let me know if you get access and I hope you enjoy some of the offerings there. ttfn

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Aye, Ectophile knows what he's talking about.

Many a mickel macks a mussel.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
boxjac
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

The same has happened to me but i don't no how to rid of it its called jolly wallet,I cant find it anywhere plus help bt protect has found no virus's anything since installing my old norton found something every day

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

boxjac,

You are posting on a thread that is 3 years old. You would be better to start a new threat with your specific problem.

It sounds like you may have malware on your computer.

Mean while download and run Malwarebytes and delete anything that it finds.

Use the free version

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

0 Ratings