cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

bt net protect plus

hi

not sure if in right place never used this before but i keep getting messages to buy macafee because my free trial has ended but i pay monthly for bt net protect plus along with my broadband payments so im wondering if my laptop is protected or not?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: bt net protect plus

Welcome to the forum. Is your laptop fairly new? Many come with a trial antivirus, often McAfee. Either way, in the opinion of many on this forum you would do yourself a favour (and save some money) by uninstalling McAfee competely and using one of the many free AVs available on the internet; Windows 8 has one built in. McAfee is a huge resource hog and no great shakes as an AV; even its founder John McAfee has rubbished the current product.

Uninstalling McAfee should include running the removal tool to get rid of all traces..

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

I agree with Pottyperson about not using McAfee.

Your problem will be that you have a trial on your computer which you will probably have activated. The free trial will now have expired and it will be nagging you to buy it. If you have installed BTNetprotect, although a rebadged McAfee product it will not have replaced the trial.

You will need to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer. If is a separate McAfee trial still showing you will also need to uninstall that by the same method.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to re use BT Netprotect, you will need to then re-install it.

If your computer is Windows 8 or 8.1 it comes with Microsoft Security Essentials already installed, which has an antivirus program included so you don not need another antivirus  product however I would recommend using either AVG Free or Avast Free antivirus which is better are the Microsoft one  

Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

not sure if its windows 8 or 8.1 on my laptop. so i should uninstall macafee and cancel the bt net protect plus and i will still be protected ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

hi just to say that i have sorted it i think!!

i have avast free antivirus now nly thing i couldnt find is the bt net protect plus in the control panel to remove it!!

thank you so much for your help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Glad you've got it sorted. As long as you have uninstalled McAfee and used the uninstall tool after you restarted your computer it will be fine.

Link to uninstall tool

https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Is Windows Defender activated on your laptop? Check at Control Panel > Windows Defender. If so you should choose between it and Avast because running more than one AV at the same time is reckoned to be potentially harmful.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings