Message 31 of 49

Re: bt poking my connection

Hang on reece pls ... I'm still waiting for a reply. 🙂
0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 32 of 49

Sorry, just a thought, I dont think BT are some secret undercover agaents looking through everyones, port 161, to find out what they are doing. If you google port 161 it tells you what its all about and it seems like to me a bad thing to block it. Sorry for getting in the way, carry on bud!. 🙂

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 33 of 49

no probs ..... 🙂

Errrrr are you there still bullitt?
0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 34 of 49

Ah well ..... seems bullitt isn't there any longer ....... 😉

But for anybody reading this thread ... a friendly word.

Please (if you want a successful internet connection) DO NOT block any calls to and from radius servers quoting anything to do with CHAP,LTS,LAC,LNS,PPP or anything else you don't understand. All these calls are there for a purpose and have to be negotiated successfully as part of the Central L2TP authentication process. And some are to do with hub configurations.

If you block them you risk your connection not performing correctly and to its design intent.

They are not there to spy or anything like that ..... by all means if you see anything strange, you can always get advice from them that KNOW .... but the stuff mentioned in this thread is normal and to be expected.

What's more .... if you leave your router/hub's firewall in default mode, there is no reason to even consider the blocking of any ports, unless you really are knowldegeable about the subject.

And with respect to those that author such information, please be aware that newcomers to having and owning high speed broadband for the first time maybe (some) will have a lot to learn and what they dont need is bad information being posted on a forum that is especially associated with BT broadband products, because put simply, that association on its own is enough to create a trust factor whereby unknowing individuals will perform uneducated tasks and make their own lives a misery, in trying to put right the wrongs.

There now .... now I'll climb down from my soapbox,   🙂

Sorry for the outburst guys .... had to be said.   😉

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 35 of 49

funny how other isps dont feel the need to access my modem 🙂
0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 36 of 49

Because they ain't setting your connection up ..... 😞
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 37 of 49

Keep on topic guys,

Even if BT was poking our connections they can't release any information unless being told to in court.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 38 of 49

they aint poking mine 😉
0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 39 of 49

I'm done.