cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duncb
Message 1 of 14

bt wifi apps - why nothing for Nokia users ?

Great innovation linking BT Broadband home account to Anywhere wifi  access. But Android and I-phone apps only ?

What about an app for Nokia users ? 

Nokia have over 40% market share of UK smart phones, and surely this must be reflected in BT's customer base.

Even Tesco's created an app for Nokia phones before the Iphone and Android, because they said it reflected their customer based.

BT needs to consider its customers first, rather than just following the i-phone herd mentality.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
shearers_hairline
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: bt wifi apps - why nothing for Nokia users ?

I think its because the nokia operating system is pants myself.

I would like to know where you got your figures of nokia having 40% of smart phone market share in the UK, I don't know anyone who uses a nokia now. Everyone seems to have either an IPhone or a handset with android on it.

I wouldn't hold your breathe for a BT Fon app anytime soon

0 Ratings
H_Dawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Nokia do have a large market share, but I think the above statistics are because the definition of a 'smartphone' is rather open to interpretation. Most people in the UK own a Nokia than any other model of handset, but even if a handset can email and install a program, it is considered to be a smartphone.

Nokia generally use Symbian OS which is the most widely used operating system in the UK (and the world, I think) at the minute.

I think iOS and Android are quite close to each other in market share, and seem to have quite a lot of users. Also, RIM have the 2nd highest OS market share in the UK, thanks to the Blackberry.

I read recently (I'll try to find the link) that webstats were scrutinised and iPhone users were more likely to use the internet and email on their handset than any other handset provider.

All I can think, is that BT took things like this into account when making the apps. Symbian is open source, so I doubt that there is anything stopping them from making a Nokia app, unlike the Microsoft OS where you apparently have to pay tremendous amounts of wedge to have anything included on their app store/marketplace.

skc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

BT you need to do a Symbian app.

Symbian is more widely used than iPhone.

Regards,

Stephen.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
JoeTanto
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Just changed my phone to Nokia N8, registered for BT FON - then realised it didn't matter.

BT get back to me when you cater for Nokia. Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
H_Dawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 14

The estimated release time for the BT FON Nokia application is 'half-past never'.

0 Ratings
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

i can see out off all messages here no 1 from bt forum as even bothered 2 check and i looks like we shood all make a complinte regarding this as if we cant login to bt fon whats point in payin bt the prices off bb when all the other wifi folk can get this option and we pay and cant get it at all????
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Forgive my ignorance here, but I've never owned a Nokia phone.

Is it the absence of an app. that is the issue, or the inability for Nokia phones to connect (without an app.) to Fon/BTOZ per se that is the issue?

Those of us who are Windows phone users are in the same boat, ie "app.less" (cringe), we just have to connect "app.lessly" (Smiley Surprised Has a new word in the English language just been born on the forum?).

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
endaf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

You can connect to BTFon using the N8 or any Nokia smartphone with WIFI, its just a pain having to type in your user/pass everytime you want to connect.

I pressume the BT app stores your user/pass and connects autcomatically without the need to enter user/pass everytime.

There was an app for the N95 that deed something simular but cant find it!!

By the way BT, why cant you release the app for symbian3 at least, as your app is made using QT/JAVA, so not brain surgery to get to work on say a N8!!

0 Ratings
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

ive had 2 remove btfon and open zone from my hub witch now after ten days asking bt 2 look at issue there still not that bothered about it put now i have a voice mail massage thats saying anytime pick up make and go with no charge just the same as allways with bt if there is any fauilts just sent the customer packing and that help the bt fake techies

0 Ratings