Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HP1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

btinternet email access

Go to solution

Hi,

I am hoping someone can urgently help with an issue, I currently have an email account which I have had and used for 10+ years. I have been accessing the email account on my iPhone and use it on a daily basis so the email address and account is active. I recently received an email to advise that I will no longer be able access my email from the device from 20th September due my phone being on iOS 8.0. I can't upgrade the iOS version due to the model of phone I have, so the only alternative is for me to access email from mail.yahoo.com which I have no issue with.

I have tried to access my email from a PC however I have not been able to, the password reset feature also doesn't work for me as I believe its a password issue. Can a moderator advise/help me resolve this asap. The worst case is that I set up a new email account with gmail (or similar) and change all services that use my btinternet.com email address to my new email address but I would have to do this fairly quickly as post 20th I will have no way to access my email, ideally I want to avoid this and carry on using my btinternet.com email address via mail.yahoo.com.

When I set up the email address I was a customer of BT but this is no longer the case, I have called BT but they have been no help at all.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: btinternet email access

Go to solution

It will probably be the case that because you are no longer a BT broadband customer or paying for BT premium email service there will be a reluctance for BT to offer you any assistance. 

As it is you are fairly lucky that your email was working at all because BT have been culling BT email accounts that are no longer part of a paid for package or the premium email service.

0 Ratings
HP1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks for the response gg30340. This is really frustrating, if BT don't want people to maintain their email addresses after they have left BT they should let them know and give them a deadline after which their account should be deactivated.

As I have been using the email address regularly I want to avoid having to move to a new email address, however it seems it may not be a bad thing, at least they are likely to want people to continue to use their service and provide support.

Can a moderator please advise if there is any hope of me continuing to use my email account from my PC?

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

It can't be anything to do with iPhones & its OS. It's just that you lose your BT email addy about 30 days of leaving BT BB unless you sign up for BT Premium Mail .

When did you stop taking BT BB?

Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

We left BT several years ago and I dont have BT Premium email. The email that I received states its purely down the iOS being run on the phone. They advise I either upgrade to a newer version of iOS (which I cant do) or access my email account from mail.yahoo.com - which I have been unable to do or in fact reset my password as I believe that is the issue.

0 Ratings
HP1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

See below link, it seems other people aren't happy about it either

Yahoo mail

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

There are 2 problems here.

One, Yahoo seem to be no longer supporting POP3 and a particular app to collect mail. However, BTYahoo still supports POP3, just use a different app. T

Two, unless you opt for Premium mail at £5/m  your email address is likely to be deleted. You have been extremely lucky it hasnt been deleted already.

0 Ratings
HP1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

I would happily use a web browser to access my email, I just need to be able to reset my password. I have access to the email account from my phone, even if they could send an email to the address with a link to reset the password it that would solve my problem.

Is there anyone that works for BT that can help?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

Unless you pay for Premium mail you will get no help from BT, you are not their customer.

0 Ratings
HP1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

That is not really a valid reason in my opinion. If I set up a Gmail account, just because I dont pay Google any money doesnt mean I wouldnt get any support. Any company that provides a service whether paid for or not should have a duty to provide support.

0 Ratings