cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D------t
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

btmail migration update?

hi, can any mods on here let us know whats happening with the mail migration? i received email months ago saying we are ready to migrate you shortly, which i joked would be another 12 months, and my joke seems to be reality.

this is very poor on bt's behalf as you have not communicated / updated customers with enough information as this forum is constantly full with what if's and when questions.

some of us have loads of disposable email address for things like ebay / paypal / facebook blah blah and once migrated

all them will stop working and we could miss out on important emails, not to mention rusing around these sites changing over

the email addresses

is it really too much for us customers who are paying your fat cat bosses wages to be provided with what is going on with out account?  Bloody Terrible at communications

UPDATES !!!!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
JimD
Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: btmail migration update?

Seconded. The last update was in May and we were told the 'majority' of migrations would be done by the end of July. I wonder what proportion has been done.
0 Ratings
MikeFlint
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

Ditto.

If I hadn't accidentally been using another browser to look at my email I wouldn't even know this was happening - the (flash) 'advert' on a blank email page got me here. I've not had any emails from BT about it. Have checked with 2 other BT users I know and they are in the dark too.

As others have mentioned, if I suddenly do lose access to those disposable emails, how do I change them? As a lot of companies will send a confirmation email to that old address to confirm it's "you" making the change.

I suspect BT haven't thought about (i.e. don't care) those situations.

Looking at current email to my @btinternet,com address it's going to BT mail servers - which must be then forwarding to Yahoo - so the migration is happening. But what is the schedule?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

While not the most up to date information, have you read the stickies at the top of this board. It will bring you up to speed with most of what is happening.

0 Ratings
dilosec
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

@DesStewart wrote:

some of us have loads of disposable email address for things like ebay / paypal / facebook blah blah and once migrated all them will stop working and we could miss out on important emails, not to mention rusing around these sites changing over the email addresses

Plan A - there is a risk of losing emails after the migration

Wait to be migrated to BTMail:
- create and switch to new disposable addresses
- emails sent to Yahoo disposables will be lost

Plan B - there is no loss of emails after the migration

If you're still on BTYahoo, and use disposable addresses:
- create another email account (BT or 3rd party).
- switch all web sites to this 'temporary' email address.
- delete all the Yahoo disposables.

When migrated to BTMail:
- create and switch to new disposable addresses.
- then delete the temporary address.

@MikeFlint wrote:

As others have mentioned, if I suddenly do lose access to those disposable emails, how do I change them? As a lot of companies will send a confirmation email to that old address to confirm it's "you" making the change.

For most web sites, simply log in and change email address - most send no confirmation email, some send emails to both addresses, some send emails to just the new address.

A few web sites (e.g. ebay, paypal, apple) will send verification emails to the new address - paypal sends emails to both addresses.

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Expert
Message 6 of 18

I appreciate that any disposable email addresses which I have created in BT Yahoo email will not migrate across to across to BT Mail, what happens to the many emails which have been sent to my disposable address prior to the migratration?

These are the ones stlill on the server and not yet downloaded to me PC.

0 Ratings
Quelch
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

Once they have arrived at the base BTYahoo account Inbox, they are, AFAIK, treated the same as any other mail sent to that "base" email address, and ought in theory to be migrated across. Hopefully. But - if the copies in the webmail interface are your ONLY copies, you seriously need a backup strategy so that you have local copies of your email archive - for ALL webmail data that isn't yet locally downloaded. Never rely on the cloud provider to safeguard the only copy of your data.
0 Ratings
allanraymond
Expert
Message 8 of 18

I haven't previously thought about the need to back-uo web based emails on the basis I assumed they would be quite safe. However having checked further looks as if I was somewhat naive and should be backing up. I have many thousands of emails which I have downloaded to my PC which are backed up daily. I don't really want to have to download the remaining thousand of emails still residing on the web based server. 

So a follow up query, what method do forum members use to back up their BT web based emails?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

The way I see it is that your only options are either download them onto your PC and include them in your back up regime or set up another email address with another email provider. You can then set up forwarding from BT to the new email address and provided you have set it to leave a copy on the BT servers you will have a copy with BT and a copy with your new email address provider.

This does have the downside of you are relying on the security of both providers to ensure that there is no compromise of your emails.

Personally I download them onto my computer and I back them up on two separate systems.

0 Ratings
JimD
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

dilosec

Re. your Plan B.  Can you tell me how to create a new BT address ahead of being migrated?  I have not been migrated, and I cannot find the old BT Yahoo page for managing subsidiary e-mail addresses.  Nor, of course, can I create addresses in the new BTMail system.

0 Ratings