cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

caller gets automated response, I don't know why

I recently had a problem with a bill (which was sorted out), but had an email response from BT which said they tried to call but kept getting an automated response, and I can't imagine why.  They didn't say what the automated response was.

I tried the 17070 test, and it's the right number and the ringback worked.

Before calling BT, I thought I'd try here first, if anyone has any wisdom.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: caller gets automated response, I don't know why

@danielle1 

Have you called your own number?  Do you get the automated message?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

I get a busy signal, along with the voice that says 'the number you have called is busy'.
I'm not sure what they meant by 'automated message'.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Unplug everything from your phone line including your home hub, and then call your number again and see if it still says its busy?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Was finally able to try this. The only thing plugged into the phone line is the hub.
Still says busy.
I tried each of two phone extensions separately.
We don't have a mobile so can't even try it ourselves.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@danielle1 wrote:
Was finally able to try this. The only thing plugged into the phone line is the hub.
Still says busy.
I tried each of two phone extensions separately.
We don't have a mobile so can't even try it ourselves.

It could be the home hub making the line busy, if it has an internal fault, which is why I suggested unplugging it.

There could also be a problem with your master phone socket, or a fault in the exchange.

If you are happy that its nothing connected to the phone line that is causing it, then all you can do is to request an engineer visit.

Message 7 of 10

Yes, I meant I had unplugged the hub; there is nothing else connected to the phone line in general.
Anyway, many thanks for the suggestions, I guess it's on to BT now. What a pain.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

P.S. Just got a call - they didn't get any "automated message", so now I'm not sure what to think. How could it only be BT?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@danielle1 wrote:
P.S. Just got a call - they didn't get any "automated message", so now I'm not sure what to think. How could it only be BT?

Unless you have BT Call Protect active, or a call blocking phone?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

No, no Call Protect (I just checked), no blocking phone - we have the simplest phone we could get - and we don't have any kind of answering services or voice mail, either. So, to recap: other people have called, only BT says they've got this automated message. And I'm not even sure what they meant by 'automated message'. Unless anyone else has called and we don't know.
0 Ratings