cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 6

can't open an attachment rec'd via latest 'Best ever, super dooper' BTYahoo mail

Go to solution

I upgraded last week, having be told by some of my friends that this latest Mail seems to be working i.e. it's no longer appearing to be a Beta version.

But I'm still experiencing little niggles in many areas.

The latest is that I've received an email with a Word 2007 document attached - it has the .docx extension.

On screen there are three place where I can download it:

#1. At the top, to the right of the email heading (with a paper-clip symbol to its left.

#2. A large square just above the botton showing thw Word icon and the file name underneath it, and

#3. A greyish window at the botton with "Download" in it'

Hovering over #1 & #3 shows "Download all" - nothing happens when I clcik on these.

Hovering over #2 shows "click to download xxx.docx 12kb" - clicking opens up my Norton scanning window. This shows it's safe and then when I press 'continue' nothing happens. If I click again, it does even get to the Norton scan. I've got to sign out/sign in to reach the scan result window, and still nothing happens.

Is anyone else having this? Could it be that the new BT Yahoo! mail has its own virus-checker and that's conflicting with Norton (in which case what do I do?)?

And now, just to rub it in, the latest advert showing is for this blasted new BT Yahoo! mail, with a strap-line of

"FASTER, SAFER, EASIER TO USE". Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: can't open an attachment rec'd via latest 'Best ever, super dooper' BTYahoo mail

Go to solution

Have you tried disabling your "pop up" blocker for the yahoo mail address?

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Re: can't open an attachment rec'd via latest 'Best ever, super dooper' BTYahoo mail

Go to solution

Hello Keith.

I now think that I should have said that I upgraded to the latest BT Yahoo mail a few days ago. After I'd done it, a message appeared that my IE8 wasn't the best version. It said that BTY recommended installing the BTY IE8, so I did.

My Pop-up Blocker is enabled but I've just checked via Tools/Pop-up Blocker/Pop-up Blocker Settings and it shows that pop-ups from mail.yahoo.com are allowed. I didn't set that up - perhaps it was done automatically when I downloaded the BTY IE8?

So I disabled the Pop-Up Blocker, restarted my PC, enabled the Pop-up Blocker but allowing pop-ups from mail.yahoo.com and then restarted my PC.

Still no joy! What can it be? Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Try using the Firefox browser instead, it works fine with the new webmail screen.

Or consider using an e-mail client instead, as its much easier than webmail.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you Keith. Your suggestion (of using an email client rather webmail) cropped up in another problem that I was having - "Default Mail client not properly connected".  (http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Problem-quot-Default-Mail-Client-is-not-properly-connect...)

At that time I thought I had understood what an email client was. But clearly I didn't.

I've just searched the web and, in case it helps others of my PC standard/knowledge, this is what I found that has helped me.

(http://www.basiccomputerinformation.ca/web-mail-vs-email-clients/

I'm about to get MS Office 2010 Professional-Plus. That has Outlook. I used to use that but stopped because BT only supported Outlook Express. Probably the same now but I'm more confident that if I can't resolve a problem, I can come to forums like this to get help.

Thanks once again, Keith.

Your help is much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I use the free Thunderbird setup for BT Yahoo e-mail

Its works very well, you might like to try it, before you decide to use Outlook.

0 Ratings