cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

confused about usage email

Hi, having a couple of problems lately, its a bit of a 2 part problem and im hoping somone can help.

1. I received an email tody telling me that ive reached 7GB usage of the 10GB, even though i was only set up on the 30th of March, thats just over a week. there is no way i could of reached this in just over a week, not with what i use the internet for.

In fact i was so suprised that i had to check the hub settings, mine reads; Data Transmitted/Received (GB):0.3 / 4.2 Does this seem right? im not quite sure

2. when i checked in mybt, the usage says this message "theres no recent usage because you do not have any products or services linked to this account."

what does this mean? its the same when i check the bill, theres no charge, no usage. Maybe its an error, i cant be sure.

Can anyone shed some light on this? im giving them a ring tommorow either way.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: confused about usage email

I would use the online chat better than phoning.  the usage shown in your hub is only of use if the connection time shows more than 8 days otherwise it resets to zero if hub resets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

It certainly looks as though you need to contact BT. Here's the link: Live Chat.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

Further to what potters [shorthand Smiley Wink] has said, save the transcript in case it gets a bit tricky later.

Doesnt look right to me though I have to say Smiley Surprised

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

i used the online chat thing. it turns out that couldnt access my account because they had the wrong account number! go figure.

as far as the usage goes, which i had a very long chat about, their usage monitor is 100% accurate...apparently. 

Does this make the hubs data completely useless????

they gave me a complete breakdown of how much i was using and on which days. But, this feature, i could not use. because ive not been able to see the usage monitor yet, i dont know, apparentely it just gives you an overall usage for the day, is this true?

its looks like theres no real way around this, that is what ive used, i have to take their word for it, which in itself isnt 100% accurate!

i still have to wait 48hrs to see if everythings sorted out,

thanks for your help guys.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

The hub data is only for the current session. So if you've had a drop of connection, reset your router or anything like that, the counter resets to zero.

In my experience the usage monitor BT uses is very accurate. It's basically measures the packets of data that pass over the BT network that are attributed to your circuit number.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

Coincidentally, I posted this today: http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Connection-Data-on-Home-Hub-Incorrect/td-p/463603.

I don't have a problem with it as I am reasonably sure that the Usage Monitor is a fair statement. But it does illustrate a significant discrepancy between the monitor and the hub. If I had doubts like the OP, I would not be a happy bunny.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

I wouldn't bother trying to ring BT.

It seems that one is put through to a curry takeaway somewhere in the world where the spoken English is barely understandable.

I have received 2 emails from BT about exceeding my broadband usage I have 40GB.

My normal usage is apparrently 17gb per month, I have exceeded in 2 days the remaining usage of 23 gb.I am not doing anthing different from normal. 

I have notified the takeaway that they have tested & told me that there is a problem.

Bt have sent 2 engineers out, one replaced the modem, the second tested and replaced the hub as faulty.

They have also said there is a problem on the line. Thats it, no answer given as to what happens next other than my bill is exceedingly high.

Would not bother trying to get in touch with BT.

I am looking at Virgin who are really touting business.

As for BT, they want £300.00 cancellation of service, they can swing, If they take me to court all the better I will make sure that the press hear how they are hounding a pensioner which I am. I would rather go to jail and live better than continue with the useless and disgraceful service that I get from BT.

CJS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

yea i got through to the takeaway as well, it took them 10mins to ask for my phone number. once my account goes active again, i will compare the usage monitor (which is 100% accurate) with both the hubs stats (that cant be trusted) and a 3rd party tool, to get a better idea. other than this i don't no what else to, it seems yet again that im at the mercy of a faceless broadband provider. I'm still within the 30 days yet, so i think i can still pull out if it gets any worse. it seems that this is a reoccurring problem for everyone, and someone should be taking notice. to be continued i guess.
0 Ratings