cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

connecting my broadband cuts out my telephone line

Go to solution

I have set up my new Bt Home Hub 3 for BT broadband and BT sport. I also have a BT telepone line that previously worked perfectly.  For 2 days broadband, wireless and telephone worked perfectly, then we lost our telephone connection.

After following the help information of disconnecting and reconnecting anything pluged into a phone connection I realised that every time I connected to the boadband the telephone line cut out.

I have reportrd this as a fault and been on the online chat help line, without success.  Is there something I may have done incorrectly in the setup?  We have an all wireless computer, printer mouse and keyboard. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: connecting my broadband cuts out my telephone line

Go to solution

Can you get dial-tone on your phone when the HH3 is unplugged?

If you plug the HH3 in, and call your phone number from a mobile, do you get busy tone?

If you do, then it sounds like the HH3 is faulty, and looping the line.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

1. The number dials but does not connect when HH3 is connected.  When I disconnect HH3 phone works fine immediately

2. With HH3 connected if I call my landline from my mobile I get BT message"the person you are calling is on the phone".

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

sorry but you are using a filter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Then your home hub 3 is short circuiting the line, and is faulty. This can happen if the internal lightning protection device goes faulty, usually after a storm.

If you have access to another home hub, you could try that. If not, then Ring the BB helpdesk, and ask them for a replacement home hub.

Edit:- It could be a faulty filter, as IMJ has said, so its worth trying another one.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I have tried all the suggested routes to solve my problem.  Old hub wouldn't connect to Internet.  Taking out filters made no difference.

What next?  Is the a line fault or a broad band fault.  Why was everything working perfectly until I changed to this new BT BB package?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
as Keith has posted you have a faulty hub and you need a replacement they do go faulty sometimes you need to contact the Broadband help line 08001114567 and ask them to send you a new hub
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for your help.  I have spent 5 days try to sort this problem and as you and Keith have said I think the HH3 is faulty.

BT are sending me a new one so hopefully all will work as it should.

Thanks again everyone for your support.

0 Ratings