cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

connection issues, slow download speeds, blackouts of Internet for days... The list is endless

Well to say I'm having issues is an understatement,
Have had my bt Internet with hh5 in my house a year now, and I am finally at my wits end,
From the start I have had issues with connection drops slow speeds and general messing about from my Internet, after scouring through hundreds of pages and there seems to be plenty of people having the same issues.
It can be fine for a month or two and then comes back to haunt me, at the minute it is down, no Internet.
The past few days I have had orange flashing lights, the orange "b" symbol coming up on the hh5.

Can someone please advise me on what to do or where to start?
I have split the WiFi into 2.4 & 5Ghz, turned off smart connection ect,

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076286+1520002976
3. Firmware version: v0.07.06.09028-BT (Type B) Last updated 1/11/2016
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:32:17
6. Data Rate: 799 / 7896
7. Maximum Data Rate: 33288 / 39171
8. Noise Margin: 30.9 / 31.4
9. Line Attenuation: 7.5 / 7.6
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 0.0 MB / 0.0 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: No
14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-NFZJ
15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)
17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-NFZJ 5ghz
19. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)
21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: 5c:dc:96:4a:6d:8e
24. Software variant: -
25. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Tue Jun 17 18:52:56 2014)

Any help is greatly appreciate. thanks Colin
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: connection issues, slow download speeds, blackouts of Internet for days... The list is endless

Try a quiet line test 17070 option 2, any noise report as a line fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Re: connection issues, slow download speeds, blackouts of Internet for days... The list is endless

Have you ever actually reported a fault on the line?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Pippincp thanks for the reply , no noise coming from the line ,
I was planning on ringing in the morning licquorice but thought I would post up here first in the hope it was something simple .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

To make sure you have eliminated any problems with your internal wiring, connect to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket with a new filter and see if there is any improvement.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Just tried that Lcquorice, no different. The hub flashed orange, went solid orange with a orange B then flicked to Blue after 50 seconds but still won't let me connect through wifi or cable
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

Do you have any extension wiring, as that can cause problems with disconnections?

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if the disconnections stop. This diagram also applies to BT Infinity/

adsl_test.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

The first one, single socket with phone line and the test port behind it, there is nothing between my micro filter and masert socket. There are no line extensions the cable comes from my incomer to the master socket and finishes there.
I woke up this morning and the Internet was working fine, just strange
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

There could be an intermittent fault on the external network.

Next time you get a disconnection, and it does not re-connect, check your phone line again for dial tone and any noise.

Also try the test socket, as sometimes the front plate makes bad contact with the test socket due to oxidisation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

thanks keith ill try it out when the internet disconnects again,

just got home from work and im connected but only getting 7mbs .. normally at 70mbps+

i have the internet plugged into the test socket at the minuite. done a quick quiet line test and found no static or any noises that would be of concern.

0 Ratings