cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sharkadder
Message 1 of 5

connection keeps cutting off and dropping out...different symptom to ones mentioned

Hi there,

I have been reading these forums and have looked at some of the problems people are having to do with their infinity connection...sadly i am experiencing similar and worse issues.

Basically i have had infinity installed for the last three months and we have had nothing but hastle with it.  In the house we have a HH3, Vision box, 3 computers, a network printer and an iphone which all connect to the hub.  The iphone and three computers all connect via wireless and printer and vision box via homeplugs.

So the problem, firstly i like most others is not always guarenteed the speed, sometimes the speedtest can say i am at like 50mb/sec and other times it is back down to what i got on copper connection 2-8mb/sec

The other bigger problem is that every so often my home hub 3 refuses to let me connect to it from the computers in the house.  I scan for available networks on my computer and the home hub shows, the problem is that when i go to connect it always says that the connection could not be made...this happens around 5-10 times every day.  Some times i can be online for hours and other times it obly lasts 1-5 minutes and i find it very bizzare.

So some diagnostics i have tried myself...i have reset the hub and it makes no difference, i have disconnected and reconnected and it has made no difference and i have also checked my firmware version which is:

Software version V100R001C01B031SP12_L_B | Time & date 18:12 29/12/2012

the version above i believe is the latest version and i think i have a B model hub.  What do you recommend i try to solve my problem?  It is very frustrating my connection keep cutting out all of the time, i am finding myself having to rely on tethering through my mobile phone just to get onto the internet...sometimes the hub refuses me connection for a good hour or more for no apparent reason, as though it is just refusing connection.  The hub has been like this almost since the day we got it and does it on both wired and wireless connections.

My final point...just to add some more strangeness to the story is that my iphone is fine!  I turn off 3g and WAP off on it and it always keeps connection to the homehub...but yet the computers are struggling to keep connection for long periods of time i.e. no longer than a day before the hub disconnects the computers and makes me constantly try to connect.  Why do you think this might be?

Be good to hear what people think of this issue and what i can try to solve it :-).

Many thanks,

Mark
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: connection keeps cutting off and dropping out...different symptom to ones mentioned

A few questions for you.

1. Are you computers desktops? If they are you could always use homeplugs instead of wireless.

2. Have you tried changing the wireless channel

3. Are there many other wireless networks around you?

0 Ratings
Sharkadder
Message 3 of 5

Re: connection keeps cutting off and dropping out...different symptom to ones mentioned

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.  This isn't a wireless issue as it happens on both wired and wireless connections.  As i say, my iphone keeps connectivity fine but others don't.  When i do put the homeplugs on my laptop then the same problem occurs, the router shows up but will not let me connect to it...just shows up saying that it failed to connect until it decides to let me connect again.  I can also not even ping it once the router decides it does not want me to connect.

I am using 2 desktops and a laptop, there are many wireless networks around me and two bt ones, a bt wi-fi with FON and a normal bt wi-fi network too.  From what i can see, my laptop never connects to these and so i am not sure this is the problem.  I have also tried changing the DNS settings on my laptop to openDNS but that didn't help and so i reverted back to getting them automatically.

Many thanks and maybe you can narrow the problem down a bit more?

Mark

0 Ratings
Ogier
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

This may help  but have you disabled the Powersave /sleep feature on you windows ( Im assuming windows) network adapters both wireless and Lan ( its always set to on by default).  ( found in adapter porperties )

Also you may want to check the temperature of the HH when the problem arises. Could well be over heating. 

Just a couple of thoughts

Good luck

Ogier

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

@Sharkadder wrote:

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.  This isn't a wireless issue as it happens on both wired and wireless connections.  As i say, my iphone keeps connectivity fine but others don't.  When i do put the homeplugs on my laptop then the same problem occurs, the router shows up but will not let me connect to it...just shows up saying that it failed to connect until it decides to let me connect again.  I can also not even ping it once the router decides it does not want me to connect.

I am using 2 desktops and a laptop, there are many wireless networks around me and two bt ones, a bt wi-fi with FON and a normal bt wi-fi network too.  From what i can see, my laptop never connects to these and so i am not sure this is the problem.  I have also tried changing the DNS settings on my laptop to openDNS but that didn't help and so i reverted back to getting them automatically.

Many thanks and maybe you can narrow the problem down a bit more?

Mark

When you are using a wired connection on the laptop, have you disabled the wireless adapter first?

If there are many wireless networks around you then they might be interfering with your wireless network as they might be using the same channel. Try changing the wireless channel on the homehub and see if that helps

0 Ratings