Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonathanB
Beginner
Message 1 of 36

constant disconnections since upgrade

Go to solution

Our exchange was upgraded (Wooley) on 18 June.

Since then we have suffered disconnections constantly throughout the day. Can be only minutes apart but it rarely as long as an hour without disconnecting.

BT help line has been no use whatsoever despite over 2 hours on a mobile because the telphone line also drops and it takes so long to get through to someone our land line is no use.

If anything it is getting worse. We had hoped that after the 10 days of tuning it would be back to normal but that was a false hope.

Below is the current results from the router.

ADSL Line Status
Connection information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 day, 00:17:38
Downstream: 1,856 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 9.8 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.5 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 57647 / 55
CRC Events (Down/Up): 847 / 22
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up): 8986 / 23
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Our speed, when it is working ranges from about 400kbps up to about 1900kbps.

Everything was fine before the upgrade at which time we had about 1400kbps. Nothing has changed at our property but is ADSL+2 (or whatever it has been upgraded to) less tolerant to line problems?

Can anyone give a clue as to what we need to do to get back to stable broadband please?

Thanks

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: constant disconnections since upgrade

Go to solution

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

Your exchange may have been upgraded but BT upgrade each customer's line in batches so could take days/weeks/months till your line is upgraded. Your exchange was upgraded to ADSL2+(upto 20mb) but your still on the old ADSLMax (upto 8mb). BT usually email you to say when you are being upgraded and when they have upgraded you (some people may not recieve the email, it will go to your primary BT email).

However your on a long line (approx. 4.2km long) so you may be moved to BT's new 21cn network but kept on ADSLMax. ADSL2+ is also more aggressive to any noise on your line.

As john46 has stated can you please do the following:

1) Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket?

2) Have you tried the quiet line test? dial 17070 option 2 from landline in master socket. Should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phones.

cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
JonathanB
Beginner
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

Hello. Sorry for the delay in trying the test socket. The router is on the end of a 5m extension lead so to be honest I wasn't expecting much of a difference. however...

ADSL Line Status
Connection information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 day, 00:06:52
Downstream: 3,936 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.3 dB / 14.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 18.5 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 327 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 2 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up): 5 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

I have never seen speeds like I got during the first test. I have no idea if it will be any more stable but I will leave it wired directly into the test port for now as a test. Does this point to my extension lead being low quality and causing problems or is it because the positon it takes it to is creating interference on the line?

To answer the other questions I have tried the quiet line and I couldn't hear anything.

I did get an email from BT which was the first I knew of the upgrade. The email starts:

Hello,

Good news
This is to let you know that we've now upgraded your line and you should now have an improved, more consistent broadband connection, and maybe a speed increase.

You can find out more at bt.com/networkupgrade

Remember your line needs time to settle down
For the next ten days, your broadband might slow down or even stop now and again. That's normal and it'll soon settle down. You can help it along by leaving your BT Home Hub on and using your broadband as much as you can for this time.

Does this tell us that our line has been upgraded or could we still be waiting?

Thank you for the replies so far.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

you have not been upgraded to adsl2 but may have been moved to 21CN but remained on adslmax due to your distance from the exchnage.  your current connection speed is really good for your attenaution and as good as any adsl2 would give.  it is obvious that the extension cable is causing a problem and you need to find another arrangement if you cannot leave hub where it is.

you could put hub back but use a shieled rj11 cable from test to router or leave router where it is and use an ethernet cable from the router to the pc.  you could also replace the master faceplate with a filtered faceplate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

The email means that your line has been moved over to the new 21cn hardware at the exchange. However due to your distance from the exchange (line length approx 4.2km long) then you have been kept on ADSLMAX (upto 8mb service) and not on ADSL2+ (upto 20mb service).

The new 21cn network is more agressive to any noise on your line so keep an eye out on the noise margin. Should normally be around 6dB.

Good news due to the new 21cn network and even though your still on adslmax your sync rate has increased to 3,936 Kbps. You should now experience a faster connection. However this increase in speed is probabaly caused by being in test socket indication that the extension cable is no good for the connection. Best to connected to master socket 

Please keep homehub connected 24/7 into the master socket with no manual resets. 

master sockets look like this:

mastersockettypes3.png

Please can you do a bt speedtest (not beta version) http://speedtester.bt.com

cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
JonathanB
Beginner
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution

So far it seems to be staying connected. The wiring is exactly the same as it always was and caused no problems before the exchange was upgraded. It is a rented house and so my optons are more limited for cable routing. The house has about 5 or 6 NTE5 sockets but I can only find one that gives a dial tone. The previous tenants ran a business from here so it is possible that the other sockets were on a different supply line. The one socket that works is in the middle of a wall and has no power and putting the router there gets in the way so I think I will try the shielded rj11 cable solution. I will also get one of the newer face plates.

Thank you for the help. It is really appreciated.

0 Ratings
JonathanB
Beginner
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

Whoops, forgot the speedtest.

Sadly it won't complete on my laptop for some reason. It gets to 100% of the upload test for test 1 then freezes. After a few minutes it reports an error. I tried both IE and Chrome but the same result.

I could try on my main PC but that would be over wireless because it is too far away to wire into the hub. Is that of any use?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

the filtered faceplate nte2000 or adsl v1.0 are I think the best but only downside is you internet will only work in that sockets and will not work in any extension sockets.  you don't need any filters in other sockets once it is fitted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution
hi yes the extension is the cause of the problem the shielded rj11 is a good start