contract is 76 mbps i get 38 mbps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0isumJip_8

0 Ratings
76 REPLIES 76
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 77

Re: contract is 76 mbps i get 38 mbps

Contract is actually for the services they provide, such as unlimited downloads, free McAfee Security Software and an UP TO 80mbps download speed.

No ISP in the history of the Internet have ever contracted a guaranteed speed, not even for FTTP.

What was the estimated speed you were given when you signed up to Infinity?

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 3 of 77

As plainview says it's an up to service, even on the video it's up to 76MB/19MB. I would like to add that you ping rates and upload are actually really good, seen some people on the upper end of the 76MB service and have worse ping rates and upload service.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 77

It's an issue of marketing. BT want you to think you are going to get faster speed so you sign up, when in fact they have little idea what your actual speed is going to be as there are so many variables.

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 77

I'm interested to know how you would market Infinity, then. How would you sell it?

0 Ratings
Storm
Expert
Message 6 of 77

It is not an UP TO service, where on earth do people keep getting this from, corporate brainwashing perhaps?

It is a service which states you SHOULD achieve a level set for your line, in my case 48.9Mb up, 10.9Mb down and GENERALLY within +/- 1 or 2Mb.

In other words you should get what was stated at point of sale, I do not!

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 7 of 77

@Storm wrote:

It is not an UP TO service, where on earth do people keep getting this from, corporate brainwashing perhaps?

It is a service which states you SHOULD achieve a level set for your line, in my case 48.9Mb up, 10.9Mb down and GENERALLY within +/- 1 or 2Mb.

In other words you should get what was stated at point of sale, I do not!

B.T sell it as an up to service, speeds predicted for your line are only estimated and not guaranteed. Nonetheless, the OP needs to be more clear about what the issue is, what speeds were they estimated? is it being tested wired or wirelessly, etc etc.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
TheHorseman
Contributor
Message 8 of 77

It is an upto service as the speed you can achieve is dependant on many factors, such as the length of your line from the cabinet to your home and whether the line contains any aluminium sections. The figure given at the point of sale is an estimate based on the speeds achieved by people with similar lines and it does not take into acount any aluminium cabling that may be present. One of the problems is that the BT database of line lengths is often completely wrong.

For example my own line (for which all the BT estimates have been wrong for ADSL, ADSL2+ and now FTTC). My FTTC estimate was initially 31.6/7.5 (infinity 1) and 61/20 (infinity 2) but in both cases I had 39999/10000 and 79999/20000 i.e. full sync.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 77

Storm this link is very clear that it is an UP TO SERVICE always has been and always will be
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages?Infinity=yes
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 77

'It is not an UP TO service, where on earth do people keep getting this from, corporate brainwashing perhaps?'

Its clearly advertised as an up to service,

ADSL

Up to
16Mb
download speed

Infinity Option 1

Up to
38Mb
download speed

Infinity Option 2

Up to
76Mb
download speed

Even FTTP Services have an up to;

Up to
160Mb
download speed

When you take out a FTTC/P service Openreach will provide the CP with an 'Estimated' down/up speed. Even this is not guaranteed and they will only concern themselves with it if the download is less than half of what was esitmated.

0 Ratings