Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 71 of 77

Re: contract is 76 mbps i get 38 mbps

May 2012
BT Annual pre-tax profits were up 42% to £2.4bn,

So prices would not have to increase really would they.
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 72 of 77

@somniac wrote:
May 2012
BT Annual pre-tax profits were up 42% to £2.4bn,

So prices would not have to increase really would they.

Indeed they would, as that £2.4bn would not even scratch the surface for payment of the upgrades.

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 73 of 77

Good point about the costs involved,but if things keep on going the way they are now,we will be living the lives of cavemen by 2020,and only the fat cats will benefit by modern advancement.

I still say that if a job is worth dong,it is worth doing it correctly,that way more people will take up the offers and more money would be made by the companys in the long run.

It is midnight,so.....Happy New Year To All!:)

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 74 of 77

Look at countrys in and surrounding Europe, they are set for the future we aren't even close. 😛

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 75 of 77

@ironman123 wrote:

Good point about the costs involved,but if things keep on going the way they are now,we will be living the lives of cavemen by 2020,and only the fat cats will benefit by modern advancement.

I still say that if a job is worth dong,it is worth doing it correctly,that way more people will take up the offers and more money would be made by the companys in the long run.

It is midnight,so.....Happy New Year To All!:)

First - Happy New Year!

2nd Now you have to think about this. - Fibre is now supplied to the cabinets and yes you can request FTTP now at a cost which to most is prohibative. Now think 2-3 years down the line. How much will it be then?

3rd Online gamers have been misled in thinking they need a fast connection - they don't, it's all about ping and jitter. 5Mbps would do them if it were stable.

4th Streaming, it doesn't use as much bandwidth as some think even if it is HD streaming.

5th So let's put a family of 5 together 4 will be streaming films or TV programs and we will have one games nerd. All will be online at the same time and will be using less than 50Mbps down or 10Mbps up. (the u/s will be a lot less as it will only be issuing ACKS, etc.).

6th If you agree with the above then we won't be "living the lives of cavemen".

7th Forget downstream speed, concetrate on increasing upstream rate. This will not only help people like myself who has to remotely update services but will help users who wish to do back-ups on-line.

8th IMHO if an ISPP concentrated on upload speed and gave it a priority over download or make them equal ie. 50/50 then that would keep me happy  and a lot of small businesses happy too as they don't need the downstream.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 76 of 77

@ryant704 wrote:

Look at countrys in and surrounding Europe, they are set for the future we aren't even close. 😛

Yes, if you look at them you will see that they have only had telecomunications for a short time, unlike this country where the infrastructure is over 100 years old, that's the difference.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 77 of 77

Depends what you're streaming, but you're right you can easily stream with 5Mbps as I do in 1080p @ 25fps, need a few more to do @ 60fps

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings