cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bign3wy
Message 1 of 9

countryside users let down again - slower connections than 75% of the country

and ofcourse becuase we dont make enough money for them we will suffer with slow connections for ever more.

And i have bt vision, which is a joke. As soon as we want to download a movie you can forget about the connection speed. With 3 pc users in the house plus bt vision trying to download a movie I might as well be in north Africa !

my exchange is Burghill, in Herefordshire and the chances of us getting upgraded to infinity are slim to none at all.

As much as I want to complain about the service I am getting, the terms and conditions leave me snookered paying the same price as someone with a 20 mb connection and not even getting 3 mb. No one gives a **bleep** about it, and so my little rant only serves to make myself feel better by getting it off my chest lol.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: countryside users let down again - slower connections than 75% of the country

Patience is sometimes best,

We were stuck on a 0.7Mb line till a few moths ago, now were on Infinity.

Yep I know that prob doesnt make you feel any better but unfortunatly the "less profit" areas as you call them are the ones that seem to get upgraded last, even though they technically need it more 😕

I understand where your coming from but like any company unfortunatly they just go for where the money is.

It may take years to get upgraded stupid I know but all you can do is wait 😞

And yes getting it off your chest is best 😉

0 Ratings
everybodylovesjoe
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: countryside users let down again - slower connections than 75% of the country

Unfortunately, as you correctly say there's very little money to be made in rural exchanges, and because there's often a long distance between rural property and the exchanges that serve them, speeds are slow. BT at least provide a universally available service (most LLUs don't go anywhere near them), but I think because of the high costs/low profit involved, bringing high speed broadband over the PSTN network to rural areas will never be an attractive business proposition, and will only ever happen with government subsidy. It might be worth checking if there are any wireless providers in your area (most of rural kent for instance is covered by a company valled Vfast, which can broadcast a solid 15mpbs straight to your house). 

0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

I live in a village serviced by a very large exchange, but nearly 5Km away and only receive under 1Mb download speed. Your speed is 3 times faster.

What I can't understand is that Vision will only take 1.5Mb or 2Mb of your download speed. Leaving you with 1Mb the same as me.

We have 3 computers, 3 Xbox's, 2 iTouch's, Wii etc etc. We can have 2 Xbox's on live playing multiplayer and surfing the web on a PC and to be honest it works fine.

Infinity due here on March 31st, not sure I'll be able, or my equipment, to cope with an increase of 30x speed.Smiley Wink

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

@MeanMint wrote:

Infinity due here on March 31st, not sure I'll be able, or my equipment, to cope with an increase of 30x speed.Smiley Wink

Don't worry MM, you'll manage to put up with the higher speeds somehow I'm sure!  Smiley Wink

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Hi could you try the things listed below then someone here ma be able to advise how to improve your speed speedtest .net has been giving strange results recently I have tried it twice today and out of 4 different testers speedtest .net has shown half the speed of the others

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it
Click on More Details and then post the full results.

And post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

then someone may be able to help and offer more advice.
0 Ratings
yournamehere
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

is the newton longville cabinet actually going to be fttc have bt said anything confirmed they are or are not? also is there only one cabinet in the wholoe of newton longville if so how manhy the only one i ever see is buy the crossroads (the ones near pollards)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@yournamehere wrote:

is the newton longville cabinet actually going to be fttc have bt said anything confirmed they are or are not? also is there only one cabinet in the wholoe of newton longville if so how manhy the only one i ever see is buy the crossroads (the ones near pollards)

check your exchange here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
yournamehere
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

the exchange is the cabinet isn't

0 Ratings