Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hokken
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

daily loss of connectivity

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I thought I would wait to be out of my stabilization period, 10 days apparently, before posting on this forum. I have subscribed to BT brodband option 3 and my connection was activated on the 26th of March. When my hub is connected the speed is fast, up to 8megs and solid with no slow downs.

Now the problem is that everyday I experience a total loss of connectivity, on my hub the broadband icon would flash orange then blue, then orange then blue etc... and the same for the phone icon. this could last for 1 hour or more. This morning I woke up again with no connection at all.

In my building there is some hubs running BTFON and my only option (like at this precise moment) is to connect to those hotspots. But I have subscribed for a TOTAL BROADBAND option 3 not to be using BTFON at 512KBps.

I suspect that if the other hubs are still working fine when mine is loosing its connection the problem might be on my line.

I am a web developer and this is a serious issue for me.

Calwen
flashvalley.com

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: daily loss of connectivity

Go to solution

Hi hokken

Welcome to the forum

If you can post your hubs linestats...and the result of a BT speed test, we'll have a look at the stats and try to see what's going on...

Cut and paste the stats from the hubs advanced section under adsl, and speed test can be accessed here:

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

0 Ratings
hokken
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for the speedy reply,

SPEED TEST RESULTS

Download speed achieved during the test was - 7401 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps.

Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :11771 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1187 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 19.9:23.38:56.72 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

ADSL STATS

Line state     Connected
Connection time     0 days, 0:12:42
Downstream     11,771 Kbps
Upstream     1,187 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI     0/38
Type     PPPoA
Modulation     ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type     Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)     6.3 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)     26.5 dB / 13.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up)     0.0 dBm / 12.5 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)     0
Loss of Signal (Local)     0
Loss of Power (Local)     0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)     0 / 4294967190
CRC Errors (Down/Up)     16 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)     nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)     14

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

I see the hub restarted some 12mins 42 seconds ago, was this your reset, or an automatic restart...?

0 Ratings
hokken
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

What happened exactly is:

1. Broadband came back while I was having a shower
2. phone icon was stucked orange
3. I pressed reset on the hub
4. phone icon turned back to blue.

Also my phone socket in the wall where the hub is plugged is not one of the new one with the socket being in the bottom part and a beveled BT logo on it. It is a plug with no BT logo and the socket in the middle. Not sure if there is any connection with my daily loss of conectivity but might be worth mentionning

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Ok, first off, for your line attenuation you should be getting an IP profile around 15mbps...clearly since training stopped it's given you a good speed and throughput, but it is receding, and if it carries on...the line performance will keep eroding and plummet...

The fact you have an "old" BT socket to be honest is not good....you really need a proper NTE5 broadband socket, or better still a broadband splitter socket, which totally segregates the broadband connection away from the phone line.

Secondly, it seems to me, that there's something in the building that's influencing your hub, whether it's power supplies to things like mobile phone, printer, induced noise from a central heating pump....etc. but something on a daily basis is spiking the hub with noise, and the CRC upstream errors may be dropping you off the connection.

So you need to look for possible causes...keep power lines and supplies away from the hub/socket line.

If you manage to get a "proper" splitter socket fitted, my guess is most if not all of your problems will go away..and clearly if you work online, as I do, it's a matter of urgency, otherwise eventually your connection will erode further, and go right down.

On the other hand, if you do as advised, you should get an excellent connection at target SNRm, of around 12-14mbps...at least.

Incidently, leave the hub connected 24/7 and avoid manual restarting wherever possible, if the hub phone loses sync, leave it....constant restarting will erode the IP profile further, you don't need it....

Hope this helps.

Tags (2)
hokken
Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks a lot for your answers Roger, swift and clear, nice.

You are right the phone socket is just being my TV and is surrounded with power supplies.

How shall I proceed to get a broadband splitter socket, shall I just call BT to tell them I want one installed? what is the cost for such a socket?

Calwen

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Well that's a step forward...good

Induced emf from plasmas and crt tvs can cause havoc with broadband....so now you have some organisation to do.

You can buy a splitter socket online for about a tenner....but you'd need the skills and tools to make the connections.

On the other hand you could get BT Openreach to do it...but it would cost you a lot more....

It depends on your skill set....

0 Ratings
hokken
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

A bit of DIY never hurt I guess. Would you have any link to infos or tutorials to connect an NTE5 socket or a broadband splitter socket to the proper cables? I already undone an unused socket in my flat and noticed the different color coded cables, it doesn't look very hard to connect but I need to make sure I am doing it right 🙂

Thanks

Calwen

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

This might point you in the right direction, Legal addition of NTE5 line box

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings