cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

data usage cap

Does anyone know what exactly happens when you go over your limit (mine is 500MB) but before you reach the cap - does BT just add another XXX MB to the data allowance up to the value of the cap? Currently it claims I have reached the cap (£5.00) but 2 hours later checking the website, it reports that I have 100MB of data left with a notification which says I have reached 80% of my monthly data allowance and a clear timestamp to show that is well after the time I was notified and charged for excess data usage. I can see various charges for amounts of data, but nowhere do I see that I've gone over 500MB even although I do see charges for data which as far as I can see are all within the data allowance.

Anyone able to shed some light on what might be happening here, am I missing something or is it just wrong?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: data usage cap

Hi, I also have the same type of issue. My 12yr old son's mobile was not connected to the WIFI in the house. He was watching YouTube on his mobile and didn't know it was using mobile data allowance. As account holder I got an e-mail to tell me he had reached his cap.

I just checked his phone and at 1:14pm he got a text to say he was at 80% and then less than a minute later another to say he had used his 500 allowance. Then at 6:15pm he got another text to say he had reached his £5 cap that I set on the phone. Ijust logged into my BT account and it says recent usage charge is £36.17!!!!

What's going on? I thought the £5 cap meant you spent no more that £5. I hope someone can answer both of the questions posted here. I have confiscated my son's mobile before it get's any worse so I can see what is going on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Its possible that the cap only applies to call charges, when you exceed your monthly allowance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Thanks for the reply Keith,

the cap definitely applies to call, data and texts and is still showing the same conflicting messages this morning - I'm going to give BT a ring tonight when I have time and will update here with the response
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

I have asked one of the moderators to look into this, and post an update on this thread.

Perhaps the system that tracks the usage, could not keep up with YouTube streaming Smiley Wink

Probably best to disable mobile data on the phone to avoid future problems. Most times its only going to be calls and text he uses anyway.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 22

@IainL and @JoJo_79

Can you both please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will look into this for you. 

Cheers,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Hi, Please can you send me the link to contact you on for this as I don't see a "contact the mods" on your profile page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 22

Hi JoJo_79, 

The link should be visible under my picture on my profile. 

Thanks,

OlgaC 

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Thanks, I filled in the form now and submitted it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

many thanks, have filled out the form as requested

0 Ratings