cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 44

date has been put back again!

I had infinity in my old flat and I found a new house as needing something bigger and thought great infinity was getting enabled in DEC12 so moved house and was waiting... then it gets put back to MAR13 and now I have checked it has said not even available in the area so went onto BT wholesaler checker and it says MAR14!

What is going on? why is this happening? I have tried to ring open reach but no luck getting to speak to someone, I moved into this area as it said infinity was getting enabled! I now have to suffer 2mb broadband until this is enabled! 

Has anyone else had this issue ?

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 44

Re: date has been put back again!

From Openreach's website

Q: My cabinet has been repeatedly delayed, and now appears to have been moved from March this year to the end of your programme in 2014. Why has this happened?

A: Deploying fibre cabinets is a complex engineering challenge, which involves not only provision of fibre, but availability of power connections, planning consent for the cabinet itself in some cases, road closures, traffic management permissions and space within our duct network to make the necessary connections.

In a small number of cases we encounter problems which can delay the cabinet by several quarters, and take time to resolve; in the vast majority of cases these are caused by power provision and local planning permission. We work closely with the power companies and local authorities to minimise such delays.

In order to avoid repeatedly delaying these cabinets, we have moved their due dates to the end of our commercial programme to reduce multiple changes to the likely activation date. We will continue to seek solutions for these cabinets and where possible will activate them before the end date given.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 44

ive had the expected date pushed back 5 times since moving to this address 4 years ago. we actually held back moving here until we found out weather or not this area would get FTTC - and we've been stuck on a crumby 2.5meg connection ever since (we're paying for 10 which is a bit of a joke).

im seriously considering moving 60 seconds down the road to an area that did get FTTC when promised...

why cant we be given a reason why its being constantly pushed back? is it really that difficult?

up until the end of 2012 the BT wholesale website said i should be able to place an order for FTTC by December 31st 2012, then a week before that date it was pushed back to the 31st of March 2013, and now its been pushed back ANOTHER YEAR!!!! seriously - this is so infuriating!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 44

It will more than likely go active before that, it just puts the date when all the cabinets are meant to be done by as people were complaining like you saying it got pushed back and back again. So they pushed all the cabinets back to when the last one was meant to be finished by.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 44

what would help is if they would just tell us WHY it hasnt or cant be done. i wouldnt mind half as much if i knbew why it cant be done by when they originally said but instead i keep getting my hopes up only to be let down 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 44

It is frustrating having to wait, but would knowing the reason why there is a delay really help?

...delay because broken armour is causing earth loops.....

...delay because underground duct was supplied as wrong material - need to check last 3 years installations before continuing... ...found a saxon sarcophagus under pavement... (This actually happened at my neighbour in France - 12 month delay to renovations)

...etc

Openreach would just need to employ a whole bunch more people to write each individual reason, including the knock on effect to each subsequent install for the delayed installation team - overall probably causing more delays and frustrations.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 44

yes - quite frankly a reason would be helpful at this stage! it may not change anything, but it would be nice to know what the hold up is.

i highly doubt BT would have to employ a bunch of people to give reasons... if they can take the time to tell me that theyre pushing back the date again then i think its only reasonable that they can take a few moments to write a single sentance explaining why. im not asking for them to write me a 100 page technical manual, just a simple explaination.

this has been going on for so long now... im just getting desperate for a decent (stable) connection!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 44

It's easy to say '...only a few moments' but the reality is 5000+ exchanges with 40+ cabinets per exchange = 200,000 'few moments ... single sentences' each of which is interrelated and needs to be updated on a daily basis depending on what it's predecessor did the day before. Could your company do that without extra staff? Average sentence of 10 words x 200,000 sentences = 2,000,000 words = best selling novel every day!!!

The pure logistics deny this - perhaps a Prince2 course would explain this better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 44

@ach2 wrote:

It's easy to say '...only a few moments' but the reality is 5000+ exchanges with 40+ cabinets per exchange = 200,000 'few moments ... single sentences' each of which is interrelated and needs to be updated on a daily basis depending on what it's predecessor did the day before. Could your company do that without extra staff? Average sentence of 10 words x 200,000 sentences = 2,000,000 words = best selling novel every day!!!

The pure logistics deny this - perhaps a Prince2 course would explain this better.

National training day and national work day! Sorted! 😄

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 44

i've worked enough on the web to know its fairly straight forward to setup automated responses to something... if you had  10 - 20 different reasons for a date being pushed back and the engineer(s) (or whoever it is that makes the desicion) selects that particular exchange or cabinet(s) effected and applies the pre-written response... hardly rocket science, hardly a novel every day...

whatever... either way this still doesnt help that i've been stuck with a crappy connection for the last few years after being told i was going to get it sorted again and again. surely you can understand my frustration?

0 Ratings