Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

delayed connection

Go to solution

Another dissatisfied BT customer complaining about the failure to connect me on the stated day.  We're moving back to BT not through choice but because our brand new house (next to our old one) could only be supplied with fibre optic by BT, even though the old house is already on fibre optic with TalkTalk.  The order went in nearly 2 months ago, but when the engineer arrived on 30th November he realised the line still had to be brought in.  Then contractors turned up out of the blue before Christmas to dig a trench and bring the line into our property.  Eventually a phone call (from India?) promised us that we would be connected today, January 9th.  I tried checking the status of my order online but it says no more than the fact that the engineer has arrived - on November 30th!  So, just to make sure this morning I tried online chat.  The outcome is that there's been a delay because of some unspecified and allegedly additional work which needs to be done to the line.  I was given no warning and would not have known if I had not made the effort to find out for myself. I could have been waiting in all day for someone who was not coming.  I'm promised an update in a week's time, but I'm not holding my breath.

As well as the irritation caused by the delay and inconvenience, what I find really annoying is the fact that BT supposedly provides me with the facility to track my order online, but totally fails to update it.  I was given an almost stage by stage account of the progress of the engineer to my property culminating in the news that he had arrived but since then absolutely nothing.  When the contractors arrived unannounced and I said that I didn't know they were coming, the reply was "Nobody ever does".  What a way to run a communications company!  Needless to say BT has no problem in sending me an online bill in the meantime.

So is there someone at BT who can give me some assurance of when I might finally get my phone line and broadband in my new house? If a link is supplied to which I can respond I can provide the order details.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: delayed connection

Go to solution
Only Openreach would know that information as BT are not involved with the network BT are only service providers like Sky and Talk Talk and many others If additional work is needed to provide you service then all that can be done is wait for it to complete there is nothing BT or any other provider can do to speed things up
0 Ratings
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

If Openreach is resposible why do I have a Check my order page on My BT?  Why does BT not update it?  Why do I have to ask BT whether anyone is actually turning up?  If my contract is with BT surely they have a responsibility to keep me informed and to oversee the whole carrying out of my order, not just say "We're sirry but it's not our fault"

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Openreach do not deal with the public only the service provider and it is down to Openreach as and when they update BT or any other provider
0 Ratings
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Update: phone call from Indian lady on behalf of BT to tell me that there is work going on at the exchange which is delaying my connection.  I'm promised an update on 25th January - that's an update, not necessarily an actual connection.  My online "Check your order" is still telling me no more than the fact that the engineer has arrived on 30th November.

I tried to find out whether the "work at the exchange" is genuine by trawling through the Open Reach website but nearly every avenue leads to "Check with your provider".

I'm afraid that I do not believe the excuses: today's was not the same as the one I was given in my online chat yesterday.  It's all too easy for BT to blame Open Reach and for Open Reach to make itself unavailable to the ordinary customer. The buck has to stop somewhere.

Oh and by the way I don't need another reply from john46 telling me that it's not BT's fault.  BT is selling a service and has a responsibility either to provide it or to tell me in advance without any prompting that a problem has arisen and what they are doing about it. The vague promise of an update in over a fortnight is not good enough.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @chatom08 and welcome.

I'm sorry there's been a delay in getting you connected. Is the order for fibre to the home or fibre to the cabinet (Infinity 1 or 2)?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

The order is for fibre to the home.  We have had fibre optic in our present house for more than a year, but we have had a new house built next door so that we can downsize.  Our present service provider, TalkTalk, said they could not provide fibre optic in the new house, but BT said they could, hence our move (reluctantly) back to BT.  The nearest cabinet which serves us is upgraded to fibre and only about 200 metres away, while the new house is marginally closer to it.

As to Infinity 1 or 2, I don't really know, but I assume 1.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming that @chatom08.

Were you given an estimated connection speed with the order?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Minimum of 50 Mbps and maximum of 54 - 55 Mbps.  It is Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks again @chatom08.

Can you please drop me over an email with your details and I'll look into this for you. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings