cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 10

desktop help

Unfortunately we have experienced an unexpected error whilst trying to run the BT Home Hub Check.  Please try again later.i keep getting this message through desktop help any ideas?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: desktop help

The recommendation of the forum is to not use desktop help and if you have installed it to uninstall it. Your router/pc will be fine without it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

@shamus1 wrote:

Unfortunately we have experienced an unexpected error whilst trying to run the BT Home Hub Check.  Please try again later.i keep getting this message through desktop help any ideas?

Hi, sorry you are having problems.

Can you tell me what Home Hub you are using and also where you are accessing the BT Home Hub Check from... the System Tray Menu or the Desktop Help Homepage?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Can anyone suggest an alternative way o installing desktop help as any way from the BT website has been unsuccesful.   I am using windows 7.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

that is the only way to obtain DTH via the BT Website
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Don't install it. It is a piece of useless software that can cause problems on some computer. The fact that you can not even get it to install should tell you it's junk.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hi lizmccall,

Could you explain the issues you have been facing with the installation of Desktop Help.

Just to confirm, are you trying from the following location:

www.bt.com/help/btdesktophelp

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I have tried to install it from the page you quoted, when I click to download it - it does download and it runs through the first page but on the second screen, it tells me - We have detected that you are not using the most recent Desktop help and gives me a link to download it but when I click on it, nothing happens.   On the control panel it shows that I have installed it and on the programmes list it also shows that I have installed it.   I have unistalled and tried to reinstall it (I have done this many times) but the same just keeps happening.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi lizmccall,

Thanks for your reply. Could you provide some more details of your computer. Such as the Operating System and Browser Version?

One other thing that you could try is to unistall and run our clean-up tool before retrying the installation.

For PC
1.Run the "Uninstall BT Desktop Help" option from the Start menu.
Follow the onscreen wizard through to completion

2.Now run the automatic BT Desktop Help clean-up tool from here
(After clicking on the link, select Run). This program makes sure that all BT Desktop Help files are completely removed

3.Once the clean-up tool has finished, restart your computer. Return to bt.com/help/btdesktophelp and download the latest version of BT Desktop Help (for PC). When prompted select 'Run' to start the installation.

Many Thanks

OllieB

Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

Before I begin, I wish to say that when we originally installed Desktop Help, we did have some 'teething' issues. However, these were cleared and for a long time now, we have run it successfully. I would like to add, that as fairly proficient, but not expert computer users, we have been more than impressed with the support received via Desktop Help. Contrary to comments from some users on the forum, we have definitely found it very useful.

I wanted to say thank to you, Ollie, for the advice you had written for another user, regarding issues with an update for Desktop Help. The problem described, matched the one we have experienced today. We were determined not to give in and remove the function. Instead, we followed your instructions and ..................it worked!!!! Thank you so much for the very clear and precise information - it really is much appreciated. We now have a fully functioning Desktop Help again.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings