cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

direct debits

Can someone please tell me how BT can justify trying to charge me £64 per month for broadband and phone. I have checked my last bill for calls only was only £21.59 so all other costs are for future charges...lol I now have checked for this bill coming up and have only used up £3.79 in calls so I cannot understand how they got the figure of £64 per month for my direct debits. I have cancelled the direct debits and will pay them over the phone for my bill but how can they do this? I have now decided to cancel my BT altogether as this is a disgrace. I hope they are reading this.....

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: direct debits

No, they won't be.

Have you tried phoning them and asking?

There is the option of "whole bill direct debit" where the amount they bill you every month is what you actually used, not some estimate.  Of course, this means you pay a different amount every month.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

@Ectophile wrote:

Have you tried phoning them and asking?

There is the option of "whole bill direct debit" where the amount they bill you every month is what you actually used, not some estimate.  Of course, this means you pay a different amount every month.

You could also have changed the monthly payment yourself in MyBT rather than wait for the 6-monthly review that BT undertake. But it's a bit late now.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

That won't work unless you pay your current bill in full. Once done you can then change payment. The way it works is that you should always be paying towards your next bill and not your current bill. So when you join bt if you go on monthly fixed payment you need to pay the 1st 3 months in advance and then immediately start paying the monthly payment otherwise you will find that after 3 months your payments will increase as you will always be classed as being in debit. i found this out when querying an increase in my monthly payment. If you were on monthly billing then you pay bill in full each month usually 10 days after invoiced
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

You don't have to pay the current bill in full. I had a bill moderately in debit following some changes and retrospective price increases. So I added the debit amount to my basic quarterly charges and a bit for probable extras, divided the result by 3, and changed the monthly payment to that amount. This meant that the next bill was almost exactly in balance. Since then I have adjusted the monthly payment every quarter if necessary with the aim of getting the next bill in balance. And it works - my bill received last week showed a 99p credit so I'm already on track for a similar result in October with no change necessary.

Of course you can just let BT review your monthly payment every 6 months, but that can result in large changes especially as they are apt to over-compensate for any debit or credit.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

This what I was told only a few weeks ago. I was I credit then when added the new bill I was in debit and even though paying monthly I was informed to reduce payment from 60 to 45 a month I must pay the full bill for jul-oct then my payments can be reduced. But I must continue to pay a monthly payment of 45 so when get next bill in Oct for oct-jan it shows I owe only for calls made and nothing for advance charges.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

back from hols and i can't update the previous post

this is what i was told in relation to the monthly payment plan

The Monthly Payment Plan by it’s design is meant to allow you to pay your bill Monthly so the sum can be cleared before your statement is produced

which in turn means when BT set these up they should be informing customers they need to pay for 3 months in advance

regards

0 Ratings