Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

disabling upscaling on UHD output

Go to solution

I have a BT DTR-t4000 Youview UHD box and a Samsung JS8500 TV

If you set the youview HDMI output to "UHD 8bit" and watch BBC 1HD then the box upscales the HD stream and sends 4K over the HDMI. The upscaled picture is pretty good.

However, my TV is pretty good at upscaling 1080p to 4k, in fact it appears much better than the youview box.  I find that when watching HD content, I get a much clearer image when the youview box is set to display 1080p and I let the TV do the upscaling.

Thats fine, apart from when I want to watch the sport UHD channel, for that I then switch it back to UHD output and again I get the benefit of the full native 4k stream.

Its a bit of a pain having to do the switching between modes.   Does anyone else see the same issue ?

It would be nice if the box could be configured to switch its output between 1080p and UHD automatically based on the source content.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: disabling upscaling on UHD output

Go to solution

Probably worth you taking a look at:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/UHD-Box-Ethernet-Cable-Question/td-p/1577813

and check what settings you have turned on in your TV?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks - I did not find that thread when I searched.

I will have a play with the TV settings as suggesting in the link,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I took some time to experiment with this.  For my setup the solution was to use 10bit UHD output and then enable the "UHD Colour" for the HDMI connected to the UHD box  + enabled native colour space.  The HD picture quality improved quite a bit and is now at least on-par with the picture quality of the TV tuner based source.

I have not gone back to compare the 1080p output of the UHD box, I'm happy now with UHD stream.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

You might find 1080i is even better as this will force the de-interlacing to the TV, which is far more likley to have a fully vector/motion adaptive de-interlacing which will drag more detail out of video motion with less aliasing. This kind of de-interlaing is typically only found in good branded TV's, dedicated scailing boxes, high end AV amp's, dvd/blu-ray players or STB. Youview is defintly not high end equipment.

Unfortunatly, Youview doesn't have an auto resolution feature, which matches the boxes output to match the video signal, which is a shame as the scaling from SD is even worse. I get the best results from non UHD channels on my UHD box with it set to 1080i, unfortunatly there is no 576i setting to get the best quality from SD. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Martyfp68 wrote:

I took some time to experiment with this.  For my setup the solution was to use 10bit UHD output and then enable the "UHD Colour" for the HDMI connected to the UHD box  + enabled native colour space.  The HD picture quality improved quite a bit and is now at least on-par with the picture quality of the TV tuner based source.

I have not gone back to compare the 1080p output of the UHD box, I'm happy now with UHD stream.

Glad you found some settings that work for you. Unfortunately most of the out-of-the-box settings for TVs seem to have terrible settings with lots of picture processing turned on by default and useful settings buried in the minutiae of the manual.

0 Ratings