cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pegleston
Message 1 of 8

dns server problem?

Hi - have been with BT for a couple of years and never been without broadband. I've a homehub 2.0 with everything showing blue at the moment. Two weeks ago I got a "dns server problem" message for the first time across all my devices and could not get onto internet via ethernet or wireless. i went away on holiday for a week and it worked for a few days after my return but is now doing this almost constantly again. Looking back I cancelled my netprotect and I wonder if this has affected things somehow (but only had this on my desktop - not laptop or iphone and now all 3 devices are affected). Service showing as normal in my area - am grateful for any advice on potential fixes please.

Thanks.

Paul

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: dns server problem?

hi it sounds like a random DNS server issue you could try something like Google DNS and see if that solves the problem  you will need to enter the server details into your PCs network adaptor 

0 Ratings
pegleston
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for this - am not terribly tech savvy but will give it a go. Is there a way I can do this without access to the internet as will be doing it from home,

I'm grateful for this

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

just go a google search it will explain how to do it
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go into your hub/router settings, and find DNS servers.

Substitute the DNS IP addresses you see for the ones you want to change them to. (write the originals down)

Also make sure NAT is enabled, to allow all your bits to access via your hub/router.

When you find the DNS servers, check to see if "dynamically set by ISP" or similar is checked.

You can either choose this option, or choose to set them yourself to your preference, as described.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

As a side issue, presumably you replaced NetProtect with another AV. Many of us think that's a good move, but after uninstalling you should run the McAfee Removel Tool also if you haven't already done so.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

the Home Hub DNS settings cannot be changed that would need to be changed at the PC's Network card
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 8

@john46 wrote:
the Home Hub DNS settings cannot be changed that would need to be changed at the PC's Network card

Of course ... you're right John ... doh!

In that case read this post of Keith's on the subject ...then make up your own mind.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/OpenDNS-with-BT-HomeHub-Broadband/td-p/363155

0 Ratings