cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

dodgy old master socket ??

Whilst renovating my study I looked into the possibility of moving my BT socket outlet and so tried to identify the 'Master Socket'.  To my surprise I found that the apparant Master (which is a very dated BT LJ2/1A) connects back to a wall outlet marked 'GPO' , which was hidden behind an old cupboard). That outlet has a crude screw block connection behind the face plate (no gels or insulation) where it connects to the incoming BT wire-sheathed cable.

Does anyone know whether the 'Master Socket' would be regarded as the LJ2/1A or is it the old 'GPO' socket ?

Given the date and standard of the installation up to the LJ2/1A, should BT upgrade this to NTE5 or filtered face plate ?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: dodgy old master socket ??

is there a problem with your phone line?  if not openreach won't fix/change the socket for free.  however if you have line noise on your phone and need an engineer to fix then he should upgrade the socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

yes the phone line has not been great so I wonder if this is the cause
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

as I said if you have line noise then report it to 151

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent no hiss/crackle and best with a corded phone   if cordless then dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

The master socket is always the socket, not just a junction box.  The only exception is some new build installs from a few years ago when BT thought it would be a good idea to make the "master socket" a grey box on the outside of the house.

A junction box wouldn't normally be a problem if the connections are good.  Beware - if the terminals are corroded, then Openreach may charge you for not looking after it if an engineer call-out is needed.

0 Ratings