cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 8

does having a number in your email address reduce/stop spam/phishing?

My email address is firstname.surname@btinternet.com.

BT also gave me another one: (me)@btopenworld.com in the days when their retail and wholsesale arms were competing. I can receive emails on both but outgoing emails show the openworld address - not a problem.

I frequently receive spam/phishing emails shopwing they were sent to dozens of people with names close to mine - presumably the sources of these emails have a system that simply goes through the alphabet.

I have decided to change my email address. If I used "aaa.nnnn@" i.e. a combination of alpha & numeric, might this reduce or even stop me receiving spam/phishing?

Or to put it a simpler way - does any forum member with an email address with both alpha & numeric in it get spam/phishing emails?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Oliver341
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: does having a number in your email address reduce/stop spam/phishing?

@Taffy078 wrote:

I have decided to change my email address. If I used "aaa.nnnn@" i.e. a combination of alpha & numeric, might this reduce or even stop me receiving spam/phishing?

Theoretically, the addresses least likely to get spam are those which:

1. Are very hard to guess and
  2. Are given out to as few people as possible

(numbered lists still broken)

Oliver.
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Interesting theory. If spammers are generating random addresses, simple arithmetic says that increasing the number of characters in your pool raises exponentially the number of possible combinations, so there may be something in it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Oliver341
Expert
Message 4 of 8

@pottyperson wrote:

Interesting theory. If spammers are generating random addresses, simple arithmetic says that increasing the number of characters in your pool raises exponentially the number of possible combinations, so there may be something in it.

Hard to guess long addresses are generally ugly so people tend not to use them, but they should get less spam if one is careful with who they give it to.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Oliver341 wrote:

Hard to guess long addresses are generally ugly so people tend not to use them, but they should get less spam if one is careful with who they give it to.

That's good advice, but I was commenting on the specific point raised by the OP.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

There is probably something going for what the OP suggested because I use a combination of letters and numbers and so far have never got any mail that I do not want apart from the mail from sites that leave cookies on my system,so imo it is worth a try using both letters and numbers.

Taffy078
Expert
Message 7 of 8

thanks everyone. I'll go for the alpha/numeric combination.

I take the point about lengthy alpha addresses are ugly etc but once you've sent it out, the recipient can simply add you as a contact!

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

It does not have to be lengthy and ugly,as long as it has some mmbers added to the part before the "." and after.

0 Ratings