cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 31

Re: down speed is now half

If you notice your downstream Noise Margin is 14.4 where it should be around 6.

What most probably has happened is that the DLM has seen your smart hub reboots as trouble on the line so increases the NM to give you a stable connection. Obviously changing routers is having the same effect.

Now you've got a far more stable router just leave everything alone - by that I mean no more reboots , power offs etc - and the DLM will recognise stability & progressively reduce the NM, thus increasing you speed.

This is very normal practice.

Of the 2 I'd probably stick with the Draytek as there are issues with Netgear on BT lines.

0 Ratings
Muttley_oA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 31

Many thanks for your replies.

Yes I noticed my down snr is high, today its actually increased a fraction to 14.6

I think I'll just leave the netgear router connected as it's in, and wait to see what happens. The draytec one sat there for over a month with no loss of uptime but connection speed never increased.

Out of interest, how would a powercut effect things? Makes no difference as it's a one off, or would being without power for just over 24 hours effect things?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 31

Your line is banded at 22.4meg due to perceived instability by DLM.

If your line remains stable, DLM will release the banding.

A power cut won't make a difference. Only if the power kept tripping could is cause an issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Muttley_oA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 31

What sort of time line am I looking at for the DLM to make any adjustments?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 31

Weeks rather than days.

0 Ratings
Muttley_oA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 31

Ah I see, they use the same algorithm as Shell, BP and Texaco do for their petrol prices!

0 Ratings
Muttley_oA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 31

2 weeks and nothing changed. Surely if this DLM was gonna work it would of done something by now?

stats11017.png

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 31

DLM can take weeks or months, depending on the errors or other line parameters it uses to determine if a line is suitable for a change in profile.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Muttley_oA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 31

I thought I would have a look and see how things are progressing, however the DSL uptime seems to have 'reset' a couple of days ago, and has now incresed further my SNR Margin.

What would cause the DSL to reset - is that normal?

So to recap, I have a brand new router, connected constantly for 20 days.

I really think this is more than just a DLM issue and waiting for it to adjust.

What do you think?

rs2png.png

0 Ratings
j0hn83
Contributor
Message 20 of 31

Your line is banded (capped).
This sometimes sticks permanently, or it takes a long time to remove.
It's caused by multiple resyncs in a short period of time, likely you fiddling with new modems/playing with DslStats. Why ISP's don't send customers info on DLM when they sign up I do not know. How you're supposed to know you're not allowed to resync a bunch of times I don't know.

You have 2 options.
1. wait and hope it's removed.
2. kick up a fuss with BT. An OpenReach engineer can come out and reset the DLM returning the line to full speed. Your line is well below the guaranteed minimum. You may get warned about a possible £130 charge if no fault is found. If you go down this route some engineers don't know what banding is. Tell them to run a speed test from the cabinet. This will show them there's a DLM problem as they should get full speed on their test at the cabinet. With your line they will get 22.4Mb.

0 Ratings