Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Muttley_oA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 31

Re: down speed is now half

Thanks John,

I think I may give BT a call, see what they have to say - been like this for far too long. Some of it I'm sure was my fault as I kept trying different firmward versions when I had my Draytek router in to improve things, but it started with their horrid 'smarthub' router!

What I dont understand is why the DSL is only showing 3 days, 12 hours with a modem uptime of 22 days, 11 hours. Clearly I haven't rebooted my router or they would both be the same.

So, the big question is, what is the allowed amount of times you can reboot a router without DLM taking any effect?

Is this a set figure, 1 per month for example, or is it much more complicated than that depending on line noise/errors/etc ?

dsl2.png

0 Ratings
Muttley_oA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 31

Sorry, for all the questions.

It just came to mind that when the engineer did call, way back whenever it was, he was saying something that using too much bandwidth at once could cause a drop out and disconnect. Is that so? I thought it would just slow things down, until some of the 'load' has cleared?

If that is the case, and would cause a disconnect and reset, it would be quite a difficult thing to control at my end. Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
j0hn83
Contributor
Message 23 of 31

He was talking nonsense.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 31

@Muttley_oA wrote:

the DSL is only showing 3 days, 12 hours with a modem uptime of 22 days, 11 hours.

• DSL Uptime is since last resync.
  • Modem Uptime is since last reboot.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 31

Thanks XRay for your reply,

so its normal for the DSL to resync every so often, which is why your IP address changes.

But why did it resync with a higher SNR? Makes no sense.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 26 of 31

The resync could've been forced by DLM if it still sees instability on your line.

0 Ratings
j0hn83
Contributor
Message 27 of 31

DslStats tells you under the telnet tab. Resync reason 1 is DLM.

0 Ratings
Muttley_oA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 31

ah, thanks, that makes sense

rt.png

so the dlm is seeing issues on the line.

well it's not me rebooting

router is in the master socket

i disconnected everything from master socket for ages

gotta be a line issue, or the master socker itself?

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 31

@Muttley_oA wrote:

gotta be a line issue, or the master socker itself?

Gotta be a line issue if you are sticking it in the hidden test socket of the master socket. That is the extent of BT's responsibility.

A resync could happen at any time due to instability on the line with resultant change of NM & sync speed. A good line can go for days or weeks w/out any resync.

Your Target NM probably hasn't changed at all & probably is 15 dB. The Target NM is decided by the DLM as the NM at sync-time based on the past stability of the line. It is a multiple of 3 dB & on a stable line will usually be 6 dB or even 3 dB. It determines your sync speed until the next resync. After a sync the NM itself will vary in response to the noise on the line. If the noise goes too high the NM will decrease (hence the Margin) until it is too low to maintain the current sync speed. Some routers will hold on a NM as low as 1 dB but not many.

FOOTNOTE: For those mathematically minded dBs are a logarithmic scale.

• 3dB = 0.3 Bel = (log 2) Bel
  • indicating a doubling of whatever's being measured, like noise.
Contributor
Message 30 of 31

I'm afraid you're getting mixed up with ADSL there. With FTTC there is no multiple of 3dB with regards to DLM and noise margin.

All lines are set to 6dB snrm target by default. If you are connected to a Huawei cabinet and the line is stable then this can be lowered to 5, 4 or finally 3dB, in 1dB stages. ECI cabinets currently don't have this feature. It's all irrelevant to the OP who will have a 6dB target, but the banding makes the snrm shoot up.

You need to get on the phone to BT and ask for an OpenReach broadband engineer. Engineers who respond to voice faults can't reset the DLM.
0 Ratings