cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

e mail with attachments keeps repeating

Sorry this may be a bit long, but what is wrong with BT / Yahoo when delivering mail to a pop 3 client lately?

Here’s the problem, if anyone else has it, I’d be interested to swap notes.

I have used it with a Btinternet address for a couple of years without a hitch, but in the past few weeks, with any alterations or warnings, it has decided to repeat sending mail with largeish (typically about 2 mb) attachments, though small files attached ( a couple of tens of kb) get through with any hold ups.

Normal mail gets through, but the Yahoo server will keep sending mail with the larger attachment, time after time.... ad infinitum.

Any subsequent mails are held up until I go into Yahoo’s page and delete the offending file. This releases all the other mail and it works fine until I get the next large attachment when it goes through it all again.

I’m using a combination of Thunderbird 3 on one computer and Outlook on a second; both are affected. Both are up to date with Kaspersky  and no changes have been made to the firewall settings.

How do I know it’s Yahoo?

A Gmail account, using the same Thunderbird 3 client works without any problems and all the large files all get through.

I’ve waded through most of the tecno-giberish on line and much of it is contradictory, so I’m open to any ideas about the problem and most importantly, the fix.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: e mail with attachments keeps repeating

Have you tried restarting the home hub and trying again?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the reply, Keith.

Yes, that was one of the first things I did - reset the default button. No effect at all.

I've also gone into thunderbird settings and  reset everything from scratch as it were, - no improvement.

The odd thing is that there must be an attchment limit that triggers it, because small files get through.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

There have been other reports on the forum about this issue.

I use IMAP access, so I probably would not see this issue, as folder sychronisation takes place in the background.

I put put a 2MB file in one of my e-mail folders, and see how long it takes for it to appear on the BT Yahoo webmail page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

I just sent a message to myself using Thunderbird, it had a 2.7Mb attachment. It took about 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Well, it's not file type specific. The previous attachments were all J-pegs.

I have just sent myself a 3 mb pdf - exactly the same.

20 seconds! FAST! Takes a bit longer up here in the sticks.

The computer's up a full-monty scan after lunch, but it was only done two weeks ago, so I don't think it's an infection. 

As I said, a G mail account I keep for junk-generating sites works fine.

A lot of people in this village use btinternet - I'll ask around to see if it's just me.

Thanks for the help, Keith.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 17

@quarter-saw wrote:

Sorry this may be a bit long, but what is wrong with BT / Yahoo when delivering mail to a pop 3 client lately?

Here’s the problem, if anyone else has it, I’d be interested to swap notes.

I have used it with a Btinternet address for a couple of years without a hitch, but in the past few weeks, with any alterations or warnings, it has decided to repeat sending mail with largeish (typically about 2 mb) attachments, though small files attached ( a couple of tens of kb) get through with any hold ups.

Normal mail gets through, but the Yahoo server will keep sending mail with the larger attachment, time after time.... ad infinitum.

Any subsequent mails are held up until I go into Yahoo’s page and delete the offending file. This releases all the other mail and it works fine until I get the next large attachment when it goes through it all again.

I’m using a combination of Thunderbird 3 on one computer and Outlook on a second; both are affected. Both are up to date with Kaspersky  and no changes have been made to the firewall settings.

How do I know it’s Yahoo?

A Gmail account, using the same Thunderbird 3 client works without any problems and all the large files all get through.

I’ve waded through most of the tecno-giberish on line and much of it is contradictory, so I’m open to any ideas about the problem and most importantly, the fix.

This is a common problem with largish emails and having a slowish connection. Have a look at

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Duplicated-emails-in-outlook/td-p/477877

There are several other threads with similar problems all relating to Yahoo Mail servers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Thank you.

I had noticed that thread and there are others in the same vein, though in the main it does not describe exactly the problems I have, which are specific only to messages with attachments of a certain size and only to Yahoo.

I'm not using Outlook on my main computer - only on the back-up - and I don't get wholesale repeats.

I sent a query off to BTYahoo 'help' last night ...... let's see what they come up with.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Keith, well there’s a bit more.

After negotiating the automated call system, I spoke to a technical guy in India who said that they knew about this issue with repeat e mails for a month or so and that it’s a Yahoo issue resulting from the recent ‘upgrade’ wherein there was a change-over from one server to another and so on …..

I did notice that they wiped the old format at about this time and the server took on a whole new apearance.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In short, it’s alledgedly a Yahoo issue that they know about, seem to be keeping quiet about, don’t know when it will be fixed, but “we are working on it”. It will "go away" in a short while.

The implication from this conversation is that it to a greater or lesser extent, depending on download speed, time-outs etc. it affects all BT Yahoo accounts, which I find eye-brow raising.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

I have to say, I have not seen any issues myself. But I do not send attachments very often.

Yahoo do tend to make frequent alterations to their service, they usually cause some disruption, or unwanted side effects.

0 Ratings