cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
igoodall
Beginner
Message 11 of 47

Re: email Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Has there been any progress on this please?

I suspect I may be impacted by the same/similar problem. Starting 3 weeks ago I could not send (SMTP) from my Hotmail account on my PC. I get this error, as well as others. Sending from my mobile worked ok.

I created a new "live" email address, and this can send OK - so I know no issued with configuration.

Starting literally yesterday, whether using Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or Live Mail as the email client, I was occassionally able to send email from my SMTP account, but mainly I cannot with this type of error still.

Even if Outllok 2010 could send, it ALWAYS fails the "test account settings" (sometimes POP3 login, normally SMTP error).

This problem starting seemed to coincide with a message on my mobile that "Microsoft requires the password to be registered every 365 days" for my Hotmail account which I was getting on my mobile as well.

I have now removed the Hotmail acccount from my phone, but no apparent change through POP3 on my PC - but maybe takes some time to work through?

Note: I have tried to work this through with the Microsoft Hotmail forum, but other than being repeatedly told it is an Outllok issue (which it isn't), I have got nowhere there yet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 47

@igoodall wrote:

Has there been any progress on this please?

I suspect I may be impacted by the same/similar problem. Starting 3 weeks ago I could not send (SMTP) from my Hotmail account on my PC. I get this error, as well as others. Sending from my mobile worked ok.

I created a new "live" email address, and this can send OK - so I know no issued with configuration.

Starting literally yesterday, whether using Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or Live Mail as the email client, I was occassionally able to send email from my SMTP account, but mainly I cannot with this type of error still.

Even if Outllok 2010 could send, it ALWAYS fails the "test account settings" (sometimes POP3 login, normally SMTP error).

This problem starting seemed to coincide with a message on my mobile that "Microsoft requires the password to be registered every 365 days" for my Hotmail account which I was getting on my mobile as well.

I have now removed the Hotmail acccount from my phone, but no apparent change through POP3 on my PC - but maybe takes some time to work through?

Note: I have tried to work this through with the Microsoft Hotmail forum, but other than being repeatedly told it is an Outllok issue (which it isn't), I have got nowhere there yet.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

May I ask what you have got set for the smtp server ? Are you using live.com servers, or have you verified the hotmail account against a BTinternet email address ?

0 Ratings
igoodall
Beginner
Message 13 of 47

SMTP.live.com is the server.

It is set for port 587, with TLS encryption.

Just before I posted this reply, I could send an email from Outlook. I then sent another, and this time was told the server does not support the encryption method, but few seconds later Outlook sent it successfully.

Ten seconds later, try to send another, and this time in a  loop being asked for the SMTP password and finally fails with logon rejected..

As indicated this is for a "hotmail.com" account - I have no problems with a recently created "live.co.uk" account.

I cannot see how this could be an ISP issue, but......

Many thanks, Ian.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 47

as this is a public forum I would suggest you delete your email address before you potentially get more spam than you know what to do with

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
igoodall
Beginner
Message 15 of 47

THANKS imjolly.
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 47

I am getting this error message intermittently too. When it occurs the error message keeps coming up until I log into my email account using my browser and then log out. I do not access my email account other than via my PC. The conclusion I have reached is that the username / password is not being accepted not because of authentication but failure to access the server for some other reason which then gets wrongly interpreted as a password failure. I have several email accounts but this particular problem only occurs with one of my btinternet.com email addresses.   I am confident it has nothing to do with my setup of this particular email account as other similar accounts do not have the problem. The account also performs OK most of the time without me changing anything. Can we not get a controlled experiment on this to find out what the root cause is.  I would be happy to volunteer as a participant provided BT and Yahoo were prepared to investigate with open minds and not assume that it is a user problem.

0 Ratings
makader
Message 17 of 47

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 47

makader,

Can you elaborate please as to how the error was solved.

0 Ratings
barryr
Message 19 of 47

In reply, it is not so that there have to be multiple access modes to the server to generate this message. This week I have made several long complaints and to talk to BT you would think they had no knowledge or could not be interested with the problem. My stanadalone machine has shown this fault code for years in different locations and machines using Outlook. I have no reason to believe that outlook is at fault. I have now had it with BT and will now treat this a job. I will persist and persist until I get a coherent response as to why their server is failing with this simple task and has done for so long. Why on God's earth do they have to use yahoo?

If anybody has a fix, I have tried all the known one shown on the forums without success and so have many others.

Come on BT, this will end up costing you at renewal times! I for one will never ever ever use BT again. The service is laughable and the staff are all following the same hymn sheet, with the obvious failure results.

0 Ratings
karenerbs
Message 20 of 47

Smiley MadSNAP Barry

I too am fed up of this error message- I spent two days last week trying to resolve the problem and now here I am again with the same issue- NOTHING has changed, been added, downloaded or updated on my computer since Friday when I HOPED I had resolved the problem - yet suddenly Outlook doesn't recognise my password

I work from home and have several e mail addresses which are much easier to access via Outlook - much more efficient than constantly swapping web mail sites- but this is REALLY driving me to distraction - and as you say BT are completely disinterested and unable to resolve the issue or to give an adequate explanation other than " your password must have been corrupted " - how??????????????????

Spoiler

0 Ratings