cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grandma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 47

Re: email Error Number: 0x800CCC92

For the past week I too have been unable to send or receive email in Outlook 2010 running on Windows 7, and I get the same error message 0x800CCC92 every time.

This has never happened to me before in many years of using the same method of receiving and sending email. It comes in to my laptop as Yahoo webmail, I deleted the unwanted ones, and then imported the rest into Outlook. I also receive my email in my iphone.

There is no problem with the iphone email or with the Yahoo webmail, and until a week ago Outlook was also working perfectly. Why would it suddenly fail and how on earth am I going to get it back?

I assume that there is nothing wrong with my user name and password as the webmail and iphone are fine, despite the never ending requests to confirm them in Outlook.

Please help - my hair is going greyer by the minute!!!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 47

@Grandma wrote:

For the past week I too have been unable to send or receive email in Outlook 2010 running on Windows 7, and I get the same error message 0x800CCC92 every time.

This has never happened to me before in many years of using the same method of receiving and sending email. It comes in to my laptop as Yahoo webmail, I deleted the unwanted ones, and then imported the rest into Outlook. I also receive my email in my iphone.

There is no problem with the iphone email or with the Yahoo webmail, and until a week ago Outlook was also working perfectly. Why would it suddenly fail and how on earth am I going to get it back?

I assume that there is nothing wrong with my user name and password as the webmail and iphone are fine, despite the never ending requests to confirm them in Outlook.

Please help - my hair is going greyer by the minute!!!

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Access via Yahoo! webmail is a different form of access to something like Outlook. The continual password request for some peiple has been ongoing for months, though may clear after a few days.

It's not your username or password at fault, it's the mail server system. However I have seen some people have had success changing their password (see my shortcuts option 3 [link below]), maybe due to some form of account corruption. Though other reports seem to suggest that the problem can return.

0 Ratings
Grandma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 47

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I have changed my password as you suggested, but unfortunately it has made no difference.

My Yahoo! webmail and iphone both still receive my email with the new password. Outlook still refuses to connect my user name and password to the server, and still the never ending password requests.

Where to I go from here? Do I phone BT and if so, could you suggest which department I talk to?

0 Ratings
Grandma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 47

Amazingly enough, the problem has just been fixed by BT. I called them and explained the problem to the very helpful man at the call centre who told me he had received many calls regarding this same error number, and knew immediately that it related to Outlook 2010.

I gave him access to my computer and he went into the account settings in Outlook. This is what he did to fix it.

He adjusted my login name to all lower case letters whereas some had been capital letters for the past umpteen years, and also adjusted my user name to match it by changing the capital letters to lower case. He added the dot between my names in my user name so that it matched my login name exactly. He told me that the Yahoo server and the iphone automatically amended  capital letters to lower case and that is why they continued to work while Outlook didn't. He also made a couple of other adjustments to the account settings that were a bit too quick for me to see and note down.

The backlog of emails then streamed into Outlook and he successfully sent a test email.

Of course the big question will be whether this success is sustained. I shall let the forum know if I get any further problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 47

@Grandma wrote:

Amazingly enough, the problem has just been fixed by BT. I called them and explained the problem to the very helpful man at the call centre who told me he had received many calls regarding this same error number, and knew immediately that it related to Outlook 2010.

I gave him access to my computer and he went into the account settings in Outlook. This is what he did to fix it.

He adjusted my login name to all lower case letters whereas some had been capital letters for the past umpteen years, and also adjusted my user name to match it by changing the capital letters to lower case. He added the dot between my names in my user name so that it matched my login name exactly. He told me that the Yahoo server and the iphone automatically amended  capital letters to lower case and that is why they continued to work while Outlook didn't. He also made a couple of other adjustments to the account settings that were a bit too quick for me to see and note down.

The backlog of emails then streamed into Outlook and he successfully sent a test email.

Of course the big question will be whether this success is sustained. I shall let the forum know if I get any further problems.

Hi again.

Case in the username doesn't/shoudn't matter. I've tried this numerous times in Thunderbird (and just) and it still works fine. The name you have chosen to call yourself will now look odd when sending to your contacts as it will contain dots.

As a check, change your name to remove the dot - try sending an email (you can send to me if you like - see my shortcuts). You can then alter the email address to put the case back in and see what happens with more tests.

If it really was the case, then it could affect 10s of 1000s of people, they may have had calls about it - but I really can't believe it has anything to do with the case.

The interesting bit is what else was altrered - they are more likely to have made a difference.

I am going to try my Outlook 2010 and see what happens, then I'll pop back to ask for some other setting details if that's OK.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 47

@Grandma wrote:

Hi again.

Ok, I've just tried my Outlook 2010 - on Win 7. I've sent emails where the case of my username and email address is mixed, and it works without problem. The receiving end sees the case as exoected.

In Outlook 2010 - go to File/Pick account and press Account Settings, then the Account Settings again. Highlight the account by clicking on it and pressing Change.

What is set for the Incoming and Outgoing mail servers ? They should both be mail.btinternet.com

Press the More Settings button - then Advanced tab - what is set for the Incoming port number (110) and Outgoing port number (25) ?

Is anything else set like SSL ?

On the Outgoing Server tab - is anything other than a tick in the top box (My Outgoing server ....) and the top dot of Use same settings .... ?

0 Ratings
Grandma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 47

Hi Andy,

You are reading the words of a very fed up Grandma. They say that if it seems too good to be true - it probably is.

After a celebratory cup of tea I started to write an email with a couple of attachments and while doing so i saw that the dreaded popup to confirm my username and password had returned.

I tried to send the email but it would not go, and I got the usual error message but without the 0x number. Grrrrr. In desperation I copied the email into Yahoo! and sent it.

I have followed your instructions and can tell you the following:

Incoming and Outgoing mail servers ? They ARE both mail.btinternet.com

Incoming port number WAS 110 BUT IS NOW 995 and Outgoing port number IS 25

Outgoing Server tab - THERE IS a tick in the top box (My Outgoing server ....) AND the top dot of Use same settings .... NOTHING ELSE IS TICKED.

This whole saga is so illogical, it defies belief, but the man from the BT call centre was adamant that it is nothing to do with the BT mail server.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 47

@Grandma wrote:

Hi Andy,

You are reading the words of a very fed up Grandma. They say that if it seems too good to be true - it probably is.

After a celebratory cup of tea I started to write an email with a couple of attachments and while doing so i saw that the dreaded popup to confirm my username and password had returned.

I tried to send the email but it would not go, and I got the usual error message but without the 0x number. Grrrrr. In desperation I copied the email into Yahoo! and sent it.

I have followed your instructions and can tell you the following:

Incoming and Outgoing mail servers ? They ARE both mail.btinternet.com

Incoming port number WAS 110 BUT IS NOW 995 and Outgoing port number IS 25

Outgoing Server tab - THERE IS a tick in the top box (My Outgoing server ....) AND the top dot of Use same settings .... NOTHING ELSE IS TICKED.

This whole saga is so illogical, it defies belief, but the man from the BT call centre was adamant that it is nothing to do with the BT mail server.

Hi again. Sorry you're still having problems.

The case is completely irrelevant as I said, it's certainly nothing to do with Outlook 2010 and indeed any other mail program. It is a mail server issue - that is without doubt.

Alter the incoming port back to 110.

You may like to try this though. In the main settings window you get, can you alter the incoming mail server to :-

pop899.mail.ukl.yahoo.com

and change the outgoing mail server to :-

smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

@AnD just make sure that the User Name in the Logon Information shows your whole email address including @btinternet.com

See how you get on.

0 Ratings
Grandma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 47

I'm so sorry to be a nuisance.

I have changed the incoming port back to 110 as you suggested and decided to give it a chance before I tried anything further. This time the receive attempt came up with the following error:

0x800CCIA Does not support connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing encryption method.

This is a new one on me.

I will try changing over to the yahoo server tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Thank you so much for helping me, I really appreciate this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 47

@Grandma wrote:

I'm so sorry to be a nuisance.

I have changed the incoming port back to 110 as you suggested and decided to give it a chance before I tried anything further. This time the receive attempt came up with the following error:

0x800CCIA Does not support connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing encryption method.

This is a new one on me.

I will try changing over to the yahoo server tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Thank you so much for helping me, I really appreciate this.

It sounds like there is an option set in More Settings/Advanced tab - make sure nothing is ticked like "This server requires .... (SSL)", and that "None" is set below the Outgoing Server port.

0 Ratings