cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

email from BT offering free Broadband Speed Boost.

Hi Guys,

I recently received an email from BT advising due to the length of time I’d been a customer I would get a free speed boost. 

I’m currently on BT Infinity 1.

Ive yet to receive a follow up advising it’s been added but my speed stats are a tad faster. 

Has anyone else received an email ?

140CD4CA-4708-42C3-84B5-B51D98FEDF18.jpeg

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: email from BT offering free Broadband Speed Boost.

Many have, the cap is being raised to allow faster speeds. You will only get the speed your line supports.

Post the connection stats from the hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

I received this email a week ago then I received a follow up email saying my speed boost was complete. Upon checking my speed I found no increase at all. I complained to bt via online chat and was told that it would take a month to upgrade despite the email. 

I then sent in an official complaint via BT’s online contact us service. I quickly received a phone call from 0800 028 5085 claiming to be from BT regarding my complaint. I became wary straight away but the person new I had raised a complaint so listened to him. He explained that BT had never sent the emails and that no offer exsisted. I was very confused by this point. Was I being scammed ?

He suggested I forward the email to BT phishing as it was a scam.

I have since read on other websites that BT are indeed offering free speed upgrades so now I am totally confused. 

Come on BT let us know if this is a genuine offer or a scam.

in the meantime I would be wary .

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 5 of 17

There is nothing to be wary of or any need to contact BT. The email doesn't ask you to do anything at all.

All that is happening is the software cap that limits Infinity 1 speed to 55Mb is being raised to 80Mb. It is totally free and needs no interaction with the customer.

Only those lines that support the higher speeds will benefit. You can easily check if your line will support the higher speeds by looking at your router stats (details HERE). Look at the max data rate in the stats, this indicates the maximum speed your line supports.

Message 6 of 17

Email i have asked to 'click' on button from email! So you do have to actually do something and this is what worried me too!

Or are you saying that there is no need to do anything because it will happen anyway whether we click on link or not?

Especially worried / confused me as we have recently taken out a new contract, new SmartHub6 etc - however - we have a 6 week long fault / complaint open because since updrading nothing has worked and thats depite being sent 3 routers!!!!, 2 set-top boxes, 2 remotes and 2 broadband extenders! AND still have problems. Was on phone AGAIN for ANOTHER 2 hours yesterday - then recieved this email! It made me very suspicious!

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Hi @Ragbag and welcome.

if you click on the button on the email it will confirm you're happy to proceed. Do you have an open case for you connection problems? Have you been promised a call back? 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Yes - have an open case. In last 4 weeks have been promised call backs 3 times with specific days / times agreed and not one call recieved!!! Yesterday i spoke to yet another very nice and apparently helpful person who is due to call me on Weds 1st Nov around 8pm and agreement is, that if for any reason Im not available, he will try again over the weekend - any time. Fingers firmly crossed!!!!!!

You wouldnt believe (or maybe you would?) the problems Ive had! Been passed from pillar to post, given conflicting information and advice, one rep undoing what a previous one has done etc etc etc etc - i wont bore you. But surely - 3 routers, 2 top boxes, 2 remotes and 2 broadband extenders in 5 weeks is a bit much?!!!! And to add insult to injury, having been thoroghly reassued i WOULDNT be charged for any of the replaced, faulty equipment (one lot replaced by BTs own engineer!)- my laset bill shows i HAVE been charged!!!! Thats sorted now BUT i would like my life back and not calling BT all the time!!! One Rep actually told me my problem was that i was using a WiFi printer - I aksed what century BT was living in! And fact is - really old - 4 yrs+ equipment was working just fine, NO problems at all!!!!! 

Sorry - rant over or I'll go on and on - there is SO much more to tell!

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Hi all sorry for tagging onto this thread but didn't think I should start a new one. Would any of the moderators be able to help. I received an email from bt advising that my cloud storage had been doubled but no mention of the speed boost, my line is capable of over 55meg the engineer said if the winds blowing in the right direction I could get the max 80, but if not it would be reasonably high. Would I receive a separate email regarding the boost, I'm a little worried as I have just recontracted but some links that people have posted state that if you joined bt after 28th September I think it was your not entitled to the boost. Would my recontract count as joining bt? The advisor I spoke to when recontracting didn't really help just saying I could upgrade from infinity 1 to infinity 2.
All help muchly appreciated.👍😎
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

enter phone number and post results http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

see what estimates you get

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings