Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 221 of 326

Re: email password rejection

David

Please refer to the last para of my previous post.

Grrrrrrrrr.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 222 of 326

David, (BTCare Community Mod)

It is absolutely pointless asking individuals for details of the problems they are having, they are documented quite clearly in the 23 pages of complaints in this thread and numerous others throughout the forums. You can escalate it to Yahoo as much as you like and they will either deny that there is a problem or claim that the problem is within "acceptable limits".

If you want to do something useful then escalate to the commercial arm of BT rather than the techies - they may have a little more awareness of the damage this is doing to BT's reputation and may possibly care that customers are leaving BT because they seem to be incapable of putting any pressure on Yahoo to sort out this mess.

Richard

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 223 of 326

David

What Richard said times 10.

Philip

PS:  If you take a look back you will see I have already paid for a new non-BT email address because of this fiasco.  The first step in leaving BT now that Virgin are cabling my address next month.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 224 of 326

Maybe its worth raising this "on-going issue" with the BBC Watchdog programme ....??
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 225 of 326

PhilUK53 thanks for that.  I'm already very familiar with banging my head against the brick wall that is tech support / customer service.  I reckon I've probably spent in excess of 12-14 hours on the phone to BT about this in the last 6 months, and that's just the times that I've bothered to ring (which is only when I've got SO hacked off with how ridiculous it is not to be able to do what I needed to, AND it's been during opening hours, AND I've had a good hour or more to spare holding, queuing, repeating myself, etc. etc. - the combination of all those factors actually makes it a relatively rare occurrence).  One of my biggest frustrations is the fact that it IS a known issue, yet so few of their people actually seem to know or understand anything about it.  When they do, I've found the best you get is vague platitudes and sympathies, but absolutely no ownership of the problem, or any willingness to attempt to communicate it to people at an appropriate level to solve it.

I sussed out the webmail login trick for myself by chance back in the autumn sometime - that seemed to work reliably for a while, and I didn't feel it was too onerous a workaround, but then it stopped working, which was the point at which I really started to lose my rag, as there were times when I just couldn't pick up mail on the PC no matter what I tried.  I've also seen the characteristics of the webmail login workaround change.  It used to be that I had to log in, and then out again, and then I could fetch mail using the client, but then at some point, I found just logging in was enough, and the client would pick up while I was still using webmail - weird.  As I say though, at other times, I've found logging into and out of webmail makes absolutely no difference.

I was within an inch of cancelling my BT contract (and I'm a long-standing customer) when suddenly the problem appeared to have been resolved in December.  Now it's back, I'm *this* close to throwing in the towel again.  Guess what, though?  Tonight, for absolutely no good reason, my PC has been able to pick up messages without me having to do a thing, despite the fact that my phone is on, and I've checked mail on the Yahoo app within the last few hours - making it no different to the countless other days when it hasn't worked.

I'd love to think that it might be fixed once and for all this time, but experience tells me that's unlikely.  Throughout all of this, BT's communication has been absolutely dire.  Has anybody tried going to Watchdog or anyone similar with this?  As I keep trying to explain to the various people on the phone (some lovely, some patronising, and some just plain useless), the idea that in this day and age, when we all have devices coming out of our ears (smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs, etc. etc.), BT or Yahoo (whoever's responsible - I've had different answers on that) should actually think it's acceptable to provide a 'service' which only allows you to use one device to access your mail is just plain ridiculous.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 226 of 326

Aha! Great minds think alike, Steve31 - I should've read the latest posts before writing mine. Assuming David hasn't managed to work some sort of miracle, and the issue still exists, let's do it - 'Dear BBC, Why oh why oh why are BT so rubbish...?'!

I reckon the 23 pages of this thread, plus any earlier ones anyone can point them to, and various other examples scattered across the web should give them enough to go on, but let me know if I can help.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 227 of 326

Hi beckysw, this may be just "good luck" or maybe someone from BT/Yahoo have finally taken an interest in our problem, but over the last few days, I have not had any problems whatsoever! Even more surprising is I had a telephone call yesterday (weds) from a very pleasant guy at BT, who was very aware of the problems AND mentioned that Yahoo had "made some changes" ??? By chance, I inadvertantly started using two devices at the same time (desktop pc and iPhone) BOTH worked well without any problems, so surely this conflict of using two devices at the same time is just inaccurate ? I appreciate its still early days yet, but so far, Ive not had any problems whatsoever, whereas in the past I would get login errors all the time...... I'll keep this forum updated with the progress.... fiingers crossed !!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 228 of 326

Steve

Oh dear..  I see the BT con squad have gotten to you.  I had all of that about 18 months ago.  It sounds like an identical spiel. They really make you believe they are doing something and then.....bang ....it happens again!

I  will give it 7 days mate.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 229 of 326

Ah well, I do always tend to look on the brighter side of life !! thanks anyway for the advice, lets see how it is in a weeks time.... fingers crossed.......
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 230 of 326

For those who are new to this thread it might be worth retelling my experience with this problem. It has been going on for at least 5 years probably longer but my records do not go back any further. The closest I ever got to somebody taking responsibility for the problem was in May 2012 when I emailed Warren Buckley. He of course doesn't answer his own emails but you get the "Executive Level Technincal Complaints Department" who are terribly polite and helpful but ultimately just as useless as the rest of them.

The bottom line from them was (not a direct quote, because you are not allowed to quote directly any BT communications on this board!) - Yahoo tell us the problem is within acceptable limits and BT reiterate that nothing further can be done due to Yahoo's statement. Your only course of action is to send a deadlock letter (whatever that is) to BT and take the case up with the ombudsman.

I dread to think how many hours of my time and BT's time this would involve and losing the will to live I declined their offer so perhaps I really shouldn't still be complaining about it. I have been in the computer business for more years than I care to remember and if it took me over 5 years to solve a problem I dont think anyone would still be employing me.

0 Ratings